• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

genx4vr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hello

I have a question about Pennsylvania unemployment benefits eligibility.

I was transferred to another job site that is roughly 3 1/2 hours away from our home. My state website claims that they do not require a person to relocate in order to accept a job, or to continue a job when the employer relocates beyond a reasonable commuting distance. Now, what is considered to be a reasonable commuting distance? Thank You.

According to this PA unemployment guide, it seems like I will be eligible, but I want to confirm:

http://fileunemployment.org/file-unemployment-pennsylvania-pa

Last edited:

commentator

Have you worked at this job since you were transferred? This will have a lot more to do with your getting benefits than the individual state definition of a reasonable commuting distance. If when they offered you this transfer, you said, "No, thank you, that is too far for me to drive," and at that point you worked until the job ended at your old location, and moved, and then you didn't work any more, in effect, turning down the transfer, then filed for benefits, you'd have a pretty good chance. If you accepted the transfer, then later decided it was too far to drive, your chances go 'way down. You'd be voluntarily quitting a job for a personal reason (too far to drive) after having accepted it by reporting to work at the new location.

What you also need to look at is how far are you commuting to the job now? Is the 3 and a half hour commute both ways, or one way? Does traffic factor into the equation? In other words, at the time that you would be required to go to the other job, how long does it take you to drive it, and how long is it in actual miles? This is information you will need to provide to the unemployment office when you file. If it was a 3 hour commute to your last place of work, and this one is a 3.5 hour commute, it probably won't get you approved if you quit the job or refuse the transfer. But if your previous situation was a 30 minute commute, versus a 3.5 hour commute, this is a bit unreasonable in any state.

Frankly, if I had already taken the transfer and was driving it now, I'd keep the job until I could find something else. Unemployment benefits would be uncertain, and you will always have more income while working than while drawing benefits, even if approved.

Some states have it spelled out in writing. Very commonly, they say "reasonable" commuting distance, leaving their ajudicators some leeway in determining what reasonable is. No one can give you a "yes of course" or an "absolutely not" decision here.

Last edited:

swalsh411

I read "roughly 3 1/2 away from our home" as the one way distance and I cannot possibly imagine anybody considering that to be a reasonable commuting distance. You would spend 7 hours a day driving!

pattytx

"Reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder, but a 3.5 hour commute definitely would seem unreasonable to everybody I know. Nobody can give you an iron-clad guarantee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">