• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Unemployment Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TxLonghorn

Hey everyone, needed some help/advice.

Before I go any further, here's the gist of my case:

I have a brother in law with autism. If anyone knows the first thing about autism, you know routine is everything.

The brother in law was staying with an aunt and uncle in Northeast PA. They were moving to Virginia. Suffice to say, this didn't sit too well with my brother in law's routines. They maintained a home in PA, however after a few weeks of trying to readjust my brother in law to a new surrounding, it was determined that he was better suited returning to PA to their home. He is able to independently live, however needs constant checking up on.

At the time, we were living in Pittsburgh, 5 hours away from where my brother in law is. After some thought, it was deducted it'd be best suited for us to make the move there, as we wanted someone he was comfortable with being responsible for keeping up with him and getting him where he needed to go. As a result, I was unable to continue to keep my job in Pittsburgh, as I don't need to begin to say that a 5 hour drive wasn't economically possible.

I gave a two-week notice and did it properly. We made the move, my spouse got a job out here very quickly. I applied for Unemployment, but was denied after first attempt due to "non-compelling reasons."

I appealed it, and waited 3 months before finally having my hearing. In the hearing, the lawyer representing the company presented three options at me: why didn't I consider a group home, why didn't I consider moving the brother to Pittsburgh, and why didn't I consider having my spouse move to Northeast PA to care for him, while I remained back in Pittsburgh to keep the job. To me, none of these options are reasonable accomodations to be made: if my brother-in-law wasn't comfortable in Virginia and route is everything, moving him to Pittsburgh wouldn't have been any different. A group/nursing home, he's with people he's not familiar with and that's an out of pocket expense that isn't affordable. As for the move, we have two children. Obviously, expecting us to seperate isn't a reasonable accomodation to keep the job.

I explained my case and waited. Finally got the determination letter from the hearing and was denied AGAIN for not "exhausting these options."

I have been informed I have the opportunity to appeal to the next step. Do I have a case? I feel as though logically, having to care for a family member is a compelling reason to leave; especially when there is a 5 hour distance between where we had to go to care for him and where my job was. I also don't feel any of the options that the lawyer from the job proposed settles into the "reasonable accomodation" category. I also stated I am able and eligible to work, which for some reason, it was documented that I stated I WAS working; which isn't the case at this time.

Do I have a case? Any feedback is appreciated.

ecmst12

You voluntarily quit, for reasons having nothing to do with your job and everything to do with your life. You don't get unemployment for that.

commentator

If I had talked to you at any stage of this process I would've told you the same thing. That in this state, for this reason, moving to accomodate a personal need isn't going to be approved. That's regardless of how excellent the personal reason to move and leave the job may be. That's just due to the way the unemployment system is set up in most states. There are some exceptions, but it appears PA isn't one of those.

You really don't have much of a chance in another appeal, either, as the next step is the "Board of Review" which just determines whether or not the state's unemployment laws were followed in the hearing. It sounds as though they were. You can present your same material, but the facts will not change, the law will not change, and the points you are trying to re-argue still do not change that you quit the job for a non work related reason. It doesn't affect the outcome of the hearing or future decisions whether or not you are working now or looking for work now.

ecmst12

A friend of mine told me a while ago that PA does allow a move to follow a spouse, but it's possible they were wrong. But that's not what happened here, so it doesn't really matter :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">