• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA when can a company apply policies for employment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beccakay

Okay, I'm asking this here because it leads to another question about firing/discrimination from a disability.
I have a different situation that I can't seem to find any info about.
I started working for a VERY small defense contractor in 2009. It is family owned, 3 owners/"bosses" that are brothers. There was only 1 other employee besides me when I started. I never filled out an application, and the only information I was given was standard (common knowledge) for salary workers. I received a piece of paper with which holidays are paid, and that I have a week paid vacation.
I was never given a handbook (because there isn't one), I have never signed anything to do with terms, company policies, etc. None of those things have ever existed.
Our company has some since then.. they hired a man from a very well known defense contractor who is now trying to set rules. He is my "supervisor" who is working from a state away in Virginia. He comes to our main office for 2 days every week, or every other week. (Doesn't make sense to me).
Anyway, without getting too detailed.. I was diagnosed with a mental disability with comorbities.I let one of my bosses "owner of the company" know of my diagnosis. I told him that I am "disabled", and had a request written by my doctor for a flexible start time for my medications. He was totally fine with this, and has acknowledged the disability since then. I have been hospitalized for several days regarding my disability. There is, and they have been given, proof of those things.
Now this big shot joins the company, and basically is trying to apply the conditions/policies of the company he previously worked for. He has been telling me that there is no proof that the company knows about my disabilities.
Is this allowed? Can new policies ,or in this case any policy at all, be applied at any time? What are my rights here, and what are the company's?

FlyingRon

Yes they can. Unless you have there is a disability accommodation that they would be mandated to provide, they're free to change the terms at will (whether they published them or not). You do not have the right to assume nothing is ever going to change.

beccakay

Oh, we have many more than 5 employees now. I'm just wondering after 5 years of working under the company with no policies, if i am to be notified about the changes.

OHRoadwarrior

Yes, they are permitted to institute policies. Apparently you have have not documented a need for anything in years based on your story.

beccakay

The disability thing is not my concern here. That was just an example of the changes the new person has enforced on JUST me.
I asked the owner of the company if they had made actual "terms of employment" etc. And he told me that any type of policy has not been made at all. I'm just wondering if there are "general" guidelines employees must go by according to government agencies I.e. the dept of labor.. or if any company has the right to its own policies and those alone.
P.s. I have never been given a single thing to document.

justalayman

what policies are you being required to follow that no other person in your general classification does not have to follow?

Proserpina

The disability thing is not my concern here. That was just an example of the changes the new person has enforced on JUST me.
I asked the owner of the company if they had made actual "terms of employment" etc. And he told me that any type of policy has not been made at all. I'm just wondering if there are "general" guidelines employees must go by according to government agencies I.e. the dept of labor.. or if any company has the right to its own policies and those alone.
P.s. I have never been given a single thing to document.

Of course a company can write its own policies.

swalsh411

Your employer may, based on several factors, be required to provide reasonable accommodations so that you can still perform your job.

But what it sounds like to me is that you don't like this new guy, and he may or may not like you, and you're not happy with the decisions he is making. You may even feel like you're a bigger fish in the pond since you've been around longer than he has, when in reality you're just an employee who is paid to perform the functions of their job. (which the employer can change if they wish to do so)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer to your subject heading question is, any time they choose to.

There is no law in PA or any other state that says a company cannot implement new policies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">