• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(Part 1) 5+ years of "service"...demoted yesterday with absolutely no reason given!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CannotBelieveIt

(vastly edited to shorten) 5+ years of service. Demoted with no reason given!

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I have edited this greatly per the requests. I am so sorry it got so long. I only expressed what I "thought" needed to be said. This was 5 years of trials to get to where I am today and I apologize for it getting out of hand. I hope, the new shortened version is acceptable and gets my point across.

I have been employed for a local company now for just over 5 years. I was hired to do basic office duties (i.e. answering phone, filing, etc), with the promise that my "qualifications" would lead to more if I was able to prove to them I could be more. I took the job and was given yearly reviews for the first 3 years. All outstanding, never an ill word.

I, over time, with some sweat, evolved from the office to being the Assistant store manager. The management position came about a year and a half ago and I have been in the position since that time. I came into the position with a new store manager and together, we saw a lot of issues company wide that needed to be addressed since we were growing. We, over the next few weeks, poured a lot of brainstorming on some ideas to improve. Eventually, we took them to the owner and implemented them. He welcomed the ideas and in a few short months, things were dramatically different for the better.

Fast forward a couple of months, came into work and the manager said he got a call from the owner saying that after much thought and seeing what WE accomplished as a team in such a short time, he requested we be transferred to our newest store about 30 miles away that had been there for almost 3 years. When the store was opened, he projected it to quickly be his top ranked store in annual sales based on the area it was in, and the fact it was our biggest floor. Therefore we were able to display everything the store offered company wide, every color, every style, etc. (I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but this store is a locally owned furniture retail store).

Here is was almost 3 years later and the store wasn't doing half of what was initially projected, the manager he hired to run the store who seemed like a wonderful candidate at the time turned out to simply not seem to care.

I thought about it for a couple of days, discussed it with hubby etc...this meant a much longer commute, and with a baby who I hardly saw anyway this meant being away even longer. We mutually decided it was best for us for me to take the job and not turn down what could be a VERY good thing for my future. What a transition this was.

This store was an absolute MESS, a good will at best is what it reminded me of. It was in no way stocked properly. There was furniture missing off the floor that had been gone for months and just never ordered back. Every table and accessory was covered with thick dust. There were accessories on the floor everywhere from where the warehouse moved the tables and left the accessories on the floor. There were lamps on sofas and on top of armoires. Sofas with 2 legs, and the list goes on.

We dove into the job and here we are 10 months later and things are vastly improved.

So much in fact, that the owner a few months ago, called my manager who I was working with on this “project” and was so impressed with what we had done and how much the numbers almost immediately looked up, he asked the manager to leave the store and go on to train for the GM position which he’d created. He specifically said he wanted me to stay at this location as the Assistant and make sure things weren’t “undone” with the new manager coming in.

Some weeks after he left, the new manager hired a new sales person. It is very pertinent to where we are now, so I will explain.

This guy from day one was rude, obnoxious and totally non-compliant. He was a “sexual maniac” making comments to me daily in front of anyone, he didn’t care. This wasn’t limited to me, it was also about 90% of the female customers as well. I just happen to be the only female employee and a manager at that, he took full advantage of this and enjoyed every minute.

From the beginning I took all complaints to the manager. Each and every time I went to him, I got the usual canned response. “This is not acceptable behavior...he WILL be punished." The only thing that ever resulted was one particularly terrible day with him, ended up with me sending him home. He refused. Called the manager who said he was on his way, and never showed up. Said he got busy. So I sat with him for the remaining 9 hours of the work day. When the manager returned he ended up sending this employee home for what was supposed to be 2 weeks. Employee kept calling and it turned into 5 days leave.

Managers excuse? “I don’t have any problems with him that are THAT big. Sure he’s a bit of a smart ***, but maybe you’re overreacting”. (Keep in mind, there is NOT ONE person in that store with me that has not witnessed his actions and threats to me). This didn’t seem to matter and all I got was that he was our “problem child” and would get better.

Each time got worse.

We do have a "chain of command" rule in our company, so when I thought I had exhausted all my resources with my direct manager, I went to him and told him I thought I needed to take this to the GM. I told him that I had several employees come to me at different times "warning" me what he was saying he would do about me. After some apprehension, he told me the GM was aware and his take was that he’s selling furniture and he needs the benefit of the doubt, before we fire a “perfectly good saleman”. I told him I understood he knew, but I still wanted to talk to him.

I called. Once I was finished, he told me he was aware of the situation, but thought it could be handled if we didn't have to work together as often. I told him in my mind that it was way beyond us not working together as often and that I was only 1 of ALL the employees that has BIG problems with him. I told him the “sexual innuendos”, the non-compliance, the utter disrespect…everything.

They had a “talk” and I was assured all would be gravy now. NOPE, 24 hours later and up to the same crap. Nothing changed. This conversation has now been 3 months ago and although I’m still harassed daily by him, I just ignore it to the best of my ability. Even though I still feel threatened. But, I wasn’t going to let him run me out of what I worked so hard for. I kept thinking something would change.

On this past Saturday, we had a monthly store meeting held by the now General Manager

The meeting was over and the GM asked if I would come into the office because he and the manager had a couple of things to go over with me. I thought nothing of it, it wasn't an unusual request. I went into the office and immediately felt the "mood" of the room. It wasn't good. He asked me to close the door and have a seat. He then handed me a piece of paper and asked me to read it and sign it. It was simply a 2 sentence printout that I don't remember verbatim because of the absolute shock I am still in, but it was something to the effect of: After many months and much thought, we've decided you're not handling your management duties and sales duties as we had hoped. This letter is to inform you that you are losing your management status and shall join the sales team as strictly a sales person. HUH?!?!?

Once I could breathe again, we had a brief conversation that in a nutshell was this:

Them: "We just think it's best, don't think it's any 1 thing you did. This has been in the works for months and just believe us that is is best. Are you going to be O.k? Oh, I'm going to need you to sign here"

Me: "Ummmm...NO. I'm not o.k, Why are you doing this? I've worked myself to the bone for so long...you have no reason to do this, yet you are?”

Them: "It's not something you DID. This has been in the works for months while your replacement has been training for the position. He's ready now and that is our decision".

Me: "My replacement has been in training for MONTHS"? “Who is it, may I ask”?

Them: "Sure, it's ****".

(I will interject here, that the replacement named above has been working for the company less than 2 years as strictly a sales person. He calls in about 3 times a week on average and I cannot remember the last time he came to work on time when he is there. He's got a case of one continuous "constant hangover".)

Me: I at this point start crying even more uncontrollably and excuse myself to be alone for a few minutes.

I was followed by the GM only to be asked to remind me to “sign here” and Oh, he’s going to need my store keys.

So, here we are…blood, sweat and tears later and THIS. I never, and I mean NEVER, not ONE time complained in the least! I worked like the dog I obviously am for peanuts when you consider my salary that amount to about .50 an hour at the end of the week. Sure, my schedule "says" I have 2 days off like everyone else. But the paper doesn't count when the day before a supposed off, you get the "I need your help" call. Those half days, turned into an all day affair about 90% of the time.

Now, here I sit, management status gone, for absolutely no reason given whatsoever. Just that "it's the best thing for the company". Here I am working toward a goal and have achieved so much, only for it all to be taken away with no warning, no reason...NOTHING. Effective immediately.

THEN to find out it's "been in the works for months". You mean while I was living a daily personal hell, trying to juggle family with work and with a JERK of an employee that I was forced to work with this has been your plan for me????????

SOMEONE HAS TO TELL ME I HAVE A RECOURSE FOR THIS!!! I am hurt, I am in shock, and now that I see only part of my hell on paper all laid out...I AM LIVID! ANY advice on what step to take...anything. If you've made it to the end of this, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

I got an A+ in English Lit. in college and don't feel like taking it again. So this gives me the perfect time to practice my psychic skills. I saw pregnancy and work mentioned in the first few lines. Therefore, my answer is...
http://www.state.sc.us/schac/how_to_file.htm

Good luck!

CannotBelieveIt

I warned of being LONG, but this is 5 years of history and I felt all the details were pertinent to where we are now. I do apologize and I greatly appreciate you responding, however I'm not suggesting or thinking my issue has to do with my pregnancy. That was just the start of the history I have in reference to my current situation.

Thanks for trying though :)

chebden

Summary

You worked for a furniture company for over five years. You were promoted to sales, but when your pregnancy proved complicated, were placed in a less strenuous position. You returned to the company after your maternity leave and were subsequently promoted to an assistant manager position in a different store.

Sales increased, but they attributed the success to the new manager, and did not offer you his position after he was promoted. After sales subsequently slowed and you showed to be unable to control an inferior, you were demoted to a purely sales position.

You think the company made poor choices and you cried about it.

Is this correct?

I am not a lawyer, but it doesn't sound like the company did anything illegal.

I, of course, defer to anyone more knowledgeable who decides to respond.

CannotBelieveIt

You worked for a furniture company for over five years. You were promoted to sales, but when your pregnancy proved complicated, were placed in a less strenuous position. You returned to the company after your maternity leave and were subsequently promoted to an assistant manager position in a different store.

Sales increased, but they attributed the success to the new manager, and did not offer you his position after he was promoted. After sales subsequently slowed and you showed to be unable to control an inferior, you were demoted to a purely sales position.

You think the company made poor choices and you cried about it.

Is this correct?

I am not a lawyer, but it doesn't sound like the company did anything illegal.

I, of course, defer to anyone more knowledgeable who decides to respond.
The fact that they didn't promote me after the manager left wasn't an issue. I was happy with my position. Sales never slowed, so I'm not sure what that meant. Sorry.

I also don't see it as my place to "control an inferior" as you put it. It almost sounds as if you are blaming me for his actions and then for not being able to handle it. Please remember, this is the one and only time I "couldn't" handle it and I believe I took the proper measures, which did nothing to resolve the said situation.

Yes, I cried about the situation. I felt helpless and crapped on. I did NOTHING to deserve this situation and as much as I've enjoyed my years with this company, I feel this has wrong written ALL over it. I understand feeling helpless isn't a crime, but the feelings weren't unwarranted.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is NO WAY I am reading a post that long. Cut it down to about one tenth of what you've got there and maybe. Not to mention adding some paragraphs and white space.

I will, however, provide you with some general information.

Unless you have a valid and supportable reason to believe that you were demoted BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy or because you are over 40, it is not illegal. "Valid and supportable" means you have some evidence, nto just supposition.

Upsetting, certainly. "Wrong", maybe. Illegal, no.

You Are Guilty

I warned of being LONG, but this is 5 years of history and I felt all the details were pertinent to where we are now. I do apologize and I greatly appreciate you responding, however I'm not suggesting or thinking my issue has to do with my pregnancy. That was just the start of the history I have in reference to my current situation.

Thanks for trying though :)
So much for that career.

However, unless you were under an employment contract, you (legally) can be fired for any non-discriminatory reason. Morals/ethics/good business sense be damned. So if you're not worried about pregnancy (or any other) discrimination, I don't see a cause of action here.

chebden

I didn't intend to offend you, I was merely trying to make your story more readable for those who know more than I. (Notice YAG and cbg both commented on the length of your posts.)

I thought you were mentioning the decrease in sales when you wrote,
The numbers at that store have been on a steady decline since making the switch.
I was not saying your employee's attitude was your fault, nor was I saying your crying was criminal. You mentioned them repeatedly, and thought, perhaps, you would like them included in the summary.

I wish you luck, both in your career and in receiving advice.

CannotBelieveIt

Thank you for your replies so far, I did shorten the message by quite a lot, so if anyone is willing to try and see what I'm saying and provide me with some advice, I would very much appreciate it. Again, I apologize for the length. So many things I think pertain to my issue and didn't know at the time how to to edit my thoughts.

To the OP who posted again to say you weren't implying anything by your comments to my situation, Thank you for that. I do apologize for reading it wrong and I appreciate your trying to help me.

To answer the statement from the poster who said if I didn't have anything related to discrimination, etc, that I probably didn't have anything. I do believe this was nothing short of harassment. Both sexual and to the tune of being made to work in a hostile environment. It isn't like I sat back and didn't say anything. I went through the chain of command each and every time. I made it very clear what was going on and was virtually ignored. Then, in the end I get a demotion, to only be told it was "for the best".

Thank you all again for reading and now hopefully you can get through my thoughts and see the situation a bit more.

AL HR

It all comes down to why do you believe your employer demoted you and what proof do you have of that. And it has to be an illegal reason. Being a jerk is not illegal.

I couldn't read your long post so let me add this. You mention sexual harassement in your last post:

1. Were you demoted because you wouldn't have sex with someone in a power of authority.

2. Were many sexual conversations held in your presence that were offensive.

3. In either of the two scenari's, did you tell management? Did it stop after that?

Hostile environment does not mean that someone is hostile to you or they make you uncomfortable. It means pretty much #2 and has to be pervasive to count.

Last edited:

CannotBelieveIt

It all comes down to why do you believe your employer demoted you and what proof do you have of that. And it has to be an illegal reason. Being a jerk is not illegal.

I couldn't read your long post so let me add this. You mention sexual harassement in your last post:

1. Were you demoted because you wouldn't have sex with someone in a power of authority.

2. Were many sexual conversations held in your presence that were offensive.

3. In either of the two scenari's, did you tell management? Did it stop after that?

Hostile environment does not mean that someone is hostile to you or they make you uncomfortable. It means pretty much #2 and has to be pervasive to count.
Thanks for replying. Ok to answer your questions:

I wasn't demoted because I wouldn't have sex with a person in power. The sexual harassment came as only one form of many types of harassment from a new employee who made rude/crude remarks on a daily basis from day one of his employment. These comments ranged from specific comments about my personal body parts, to openly and often discussing the size of his genitalia, not only to myself personally but with plenty of witnesses around. This doesn't even mention what I was told by several employees of the sexual vulgarity that was mentioned when I wasn't around. It wasn't one employee either, it was several and all stories coincided with what the last said. All of this was coupled with the complete and utter disrespect of myself on a daily basis.

For the next question, yes I told management. I told management from day one and with each and every (non isolated) incident. When it became obvious my direct supervisor didn't care, I went above him. It was shrugged off as "just the way he is". I also was told on several occasions that this employee was from the old school of thinking when women weren't in power and they suspected that was his problem and in a nutshell I shouldn't take anything he said personally..basically he couldn't help it. But, he was selling furniture so I was told the owner wouldn't be happy if he was terminated as it was hard to find "good workers".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">