• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Part Time 40+ Hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gopher

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello Everyone. New poster here.
I got a nice new union job.
The position is "temporary part-time 40 hours a week."
Basically I want to know can they legally work me 40hours a week and not be obligated to give me full time benefits. I did sign the offer letter, which i requested a copy, and they are stalling. Any suggestions or ideas on how / if i should inquire / fight this issue? Thanks

justalayman

it's possible but without any other info, it's impossible to tell if it is legal or not.

have you asked the union rep?

gopher

He asked me to get a copy of my offer letter that i signed upon hiring. I was told it takes 2 weeks to mail.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is nothing in the law that automatically makes 40 hours a week full time for benefits purposes. If an employer wants to have "full time" for benefits be 45 hours a week or 50 hours a week or 60 hours a week, they can do that. The only "magic" about 40 hours a week is that that's where overtime kicks in for non-exempt employees.

Nor is there any law that prohibits them from excluding temporary employees, be they full or part time, from benefits. In fact, it is quite common for temporary employees to be excluded, and as long as the plan document so states, it is entirely legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">