• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Part Time Employee - Employer says they have no hours for me anymore

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ctbasketlady

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I worked part time for non profit theater company since 2008. I had an emergency medical situation while at work (not work related) that required me to be out for some time). I have the Dr. note saying I can return to work and now they are saying there are no hours available for me. I kept them posted of my medical status along the way and they said to let them know how I was doing and such. Do I have any case against them? I feel I am being discriminated against because of this. I have never been reprimanded and have been told I was a good worker until this happened to me.

swalsh411

How many hours have you worked in the last year? Your job is only protected under FMLA if you have worked 1,250 hours in the last 12 months. Also, the company has to have 50 or more employees within a 75 mile radius.

My advice is to file for unemployment while you look for a new job.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I worked part time for non profit theater company since 2008. I had an emergency medical situation while at work (not work related) that required me to be out for some time). I have the Dr. note saying I can return to work and now they are saying there are no hours available for me. I kept them posted of my medical status along the way and they said to let them know how I was doing and such. Do I have any case against them? I feel I am being discriminated against because of this. I have never been reprimanded and have been told I was a good worker until this happened to me.
**A: there are a lot of good workers whose hours have been reduced.

HomeGuru

Or jobs have been totally eliminated. OP, you may be a victim of the economy and not a victim of discrimination.

EmployeRelation

Hello friend, Mr. Swalsh411 is right that if you have worked for 1250 hours in the last year only then you have the right to file a case against the employer. But in my opinion, don't waste your time like this. Just look for some another job that can pay you the required amount. You have the talent, I am sure you will the job easily. Best of luck!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
EVEN IF FMLA applies, that does not necessarily give the poster an iron-clad case. Having an illness or injury that falls under FMLA does not make one bullet-proof; it only means that one cannot be fired or laid off or have one's hours reduced BECAUSE he or she took FMLA. Someone who took FMLA can still have their hours reduced if they would have had their hours reduced regardless of the FMLA claim.

And working 1,250 hours is only one of the criteria for a FMLA claim. Which I'm sure swalsh knows, but I'm not so sure about the poster immediately above.

gmrlegal

If you have been laid off from your job you may be able to file for unemployment online without visiting an unemployment office. An online form is available to file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">