• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passed by for promotion....again

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gila_braciole

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I work at a private company, I have a Bachelors degree in my line of work, and am halfway through a Masters degree. This is public knowledge at my workplace.

While I have been working here 2.5 years, I am the newest employee. I was recently passed up for a supervisory role by someone that I not only drastically outperform, but have more experience, she doesn't have any formal education on our line of work, and have volunteered ten fold to cover holidays, on call rotations, and extra shifts to show I am a dedicated worker. This person hands down worked as hard as she could to NOT do extra work.

The promotion she received was never opened to anyone else, and was never interviewed for.

Do I have a case of any kind here? It is clear to me she is being favored, one what grounds I am not sure. Yet, is there a legal case?

ErinMuffins

I am pretty sure you have no case unless you believe you are being discriminated against for race, gender, disability etc. At any rate, it sounds like you are working hard, but hard work and credentials do not necessarily a leader make. You come off as feeling entitled to the position, and a sense of entitlement won't get ya very far in life.

Have you made a career plan with you employer? When you performance is reviewed, make it known to your supervisor that you wish to become a supervisor yourself and see if they will mentor you. They might even be able to give you a clear idea of what they are looking for in similar positions.

Beth3

Do I have a case of any kind here? It is clear to me she is being favored, one what grounds I am not sure. Yet, is there a legal case? No. No laws compel an employer to select the most qualified candidate to promote or even to reach consensus with interested employees on what constitues "qualified."

mitousmom

Most supervisory and management positions require a set of knowledge and skills that are distinctly different than those required to perform the jobs they supervise and manage. That you are a great technocrat doesn't mean you will be the best supervisory technocrat.

You might want to take this opportunity to ask your management what they look for in a supervisor and what you can do to enhance your chances for selection to a supervisory job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">