• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passed up for Promotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rtrujillo

What is the name of your state? NM

This is a question for my wife. I will try to be consise. About 2 months ago my wifes Regional Manager relocated to another market. When her manager left, she was told that be him and the VP of the region that the company was going to create a new position of an account manager, and that she would be 1st in line for the position, which would be one step above where she is at now. She is currently an account executive for a fortune 500 company responsible for Albuquerque and Santa Fe. The local area is considered Albuquerque, Santa Fe and El Paso managed out of Phoenix.

Well, since than, a new Regional Manager has been hired. This regional manager has told 3 different coworkers that they are going to hire an account manager. He also mentioned to them that he was going to hire a friend from college for the position. The position hasn't even been posted yet, and he is telling them that it is already filled. A couple of days ago he mentioned to the team that the position would be created, at that point my wife told him that she would like to be considered for it. Is there anything that my wife can do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Quite frankly, no. She can indicate her interest, but she cannot force them to hire her over someone else. I sincerely doubt that the former manager's telling her that she was first in line consistutes a binding contract.

R

rtrujillo

Even though there was 2 other identical postions just created in Phoenix that has job requierments that this new person doen not have? Can they change the job requeirments just so that this friend meets them?

JETX

"Is there anything that my wife can do?"
*** Yes. She can determine who the 'decision maker' is on the person and ask that she be considered for that position. If she gets it, great. If not, then she has no further claim on or right to demand the position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">