• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Past Drug Abuse - Not Hired!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Addict

What is the name of your state? New York

I recently was considered for employment at a large corporation. I was told that I had the job as long as I passed a drug test and that all I needed to do was speak with their head of corporate security. He began asking me questions that ranged from "Have you ever murdered anybody?" to "Have you shoplifted anything in the past 12 months?". I, of course, have done neither of those things. Then he asked if I had ever done illegal drugs: "In my life?", "In the past 12 months?". I answered yes to these questions - I had smoked marajuana during that period. He asked "When was the last time you smoked pot?" - I responded "About three weeks ago".

2 hours later I was rejected for the position based upon my drug use. Is this legal? Within an employer's rights?

HomeGuru

Addict said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I recently was considered for employment at a large corporation. I was told that I had the job as long as I passed a drug test and that all I needed to do was speak with their head of corporate security. He began asking me questions that ranged from "Have you ever murdered anybody?" to "Have you shoplifted anything in the past 12 months?". I, of course, have done neither of those things. Then he asked if I had ever done illegal drugs: "In my life?", "In the past 12 months?". I answered yes to these questions - I had smoked marajuana during that period. He asked "When was the last time you smoked pot?" - I responded "About three weeks ago".

2 hours later I was rejected for the position based upon my drug use. Is this legal? Within an employer's rights?
**A: you're kidding right?

Last edited:
A

Addict

Not kidding...I was being honest with the guy. Im not a drug abuser, an addict, or into the drug "scene". I just casually smoked a joint at a party a few weeks ago and hadnt done any drugs before that for quite a long time.

I dont see how that could affect my candidacy...I have no legal background, I am simply speaking from a position of common sense.

H

hexeliebe

Listen, the company had the right to ascertain whether or not they wanted to hire you. And one of the ways was to ask if you did drugs.

They could have asked if you were driving too fast to the interview, if you took showers daily or any number of questions and made a decision based on the answer. It just so happened that they asked you this one question.

They have the legal right not to hire you.

But as you said, at least you were honest. And that counts for something.

A

Addict

Thanks for the responses...and today's lesson learned:

LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH!

The greatest part about this is that it's a comic book company...working in the video game division. Those guys are about as sober as Bobby Brown.

JETX

Does anyone else think it is ironic that a person who claims "Im not a drug abuser, an addict, or into the drug scene." comes on to this forum and selects the name 'addict'???

HomeGuru

JETX said:
Does anyone else think it is ironic that a person who claims "Im not a drug abuser, an addict, or into the drug scene." comes on to this forum and selects the name 'addict'???
**A: and man, like smoked pot like about 3 weeks ago.

Beth3

"and today's lesson learned: LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH!" Sure - until they sent you for the drug screen and it came back positive for cannaboids. All that happened here was that the employer saved the cost of the drug test.

You sound like a bright enough guy to understand the logic here, which is that smoking dope is not only NOT a protected activity, it's illegal. OF COURSE an employer may reject your candidacy for smoking pot.

And why is it when a job candiate comes up positive for marijuana, the story they give is ALWAYS that they just smoked one joint at a party an few weeks ago. I've lost count of how many times I've heard that.

A

Addict

I appreciate the jest. Many of you seem bright enough to detect the irony in my screen name. Well done. However, I didnt come here for scrutiny regarding my admittedly careless use of a controlled substance or to arouse your incisive wit (wow Home Guru!). I was simply looking for advice regarding my circumstance, which, thankfully, I recieved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">