• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Past employer looking for revoke (unemployment)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dmcale

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was employed with an Ohio company for 9 years and was fired for violating company policy.
Firstly I must state that there is some discrepancy over why I was fired. There are three stated reasons.
1) The reason they gave unemployment. I was fired for usage of the internet policies. This is the reason that they officially told unemployment after I received all of my unemployment benefits. I had admitted using their internet for personal uses. I had no reason to lie I had permission from 3 different supervisors that as long as my work did not lack I had free access. They had also made requests of me to look information up for them including printing out games for them to utilize during slow shifts. On top of all of that I received several service awards for my top performance in going above and beyond my job duties.

2)The reason they gave me at my termination meeting. They stated and I quote "you are not being fired for using the internet but for how much time was spent on your account online." This was stated because one of the supervisors in that meeting was the one that granted me permission. He knew about my use 2 years before my termination. This was also stated after I had proven to them through their own records that I was not the only one using my account and that it was being used when I was not even in the plant. It is also to be noted that when asked how much time I was being charged for they stated that that was company records and they were not at liberty to discuss it.

3) The TRUTH. During the time of my employment I racked up over 250,000 in medical costs. They admitted to this as being a major problem and at a meeting in front of the plant said that their medical was to high and that they had to raise how much we paid every pay and that if your spouse had insurance through another company in order for us to maintain our benefits they had to make their insurance the primary insurance and it had to cover the entire family. The last time that I worked there I was carried out in an ambulance following some hospital time for possible heart problems. They decided to fire me the day I was to come back to work.

I was not going to peruse this matter. Just collect my unemployment and get on with my life but they continued to make that tough. They would not release any information to any of my applications as far as my work history. Just yes he worked here no he no longer does. When I looked for better references from my past co-workers they told every one that I worked with that if they said anything to anyone both at work or outside of work they would be terminated on the spot. Of course they appealed the decision of Unemployment on several occasions and lost every time. Then once my unemployment was completed they had an appeal over the phone at which I was not present. I did not even get the letter until after the hearing. Since I was not present I lost and now owe them the 8,000 that they paid me during my unemployment. I appealed their decision stating that the letter was sent to an address that I was not living at (yes I had kept unemployment informed of my current residence but they simply stated that my past employer gave them the contact information.). Their reply was that their decision was final. I was not granted 1 appeal even though my past employer was granted three. I don't know what to do at this point. Is there any other recourse?

Beth3

3) The TRUTH. During the time of my employment I racked up over 250,000 in medical costs. They admitted to this as being a major problem and at a meeting in front of the plant said that their medical was to high and that they had to raise how much we paid every pay and that if your spouse had insurance through another company in order for us to maintain our benefits they had to make their insurance the primary insurance and it had to cover the entire family. The last time that I worked there I was carried out in an ambulance following some hospital time for possible heart problems. They decided to fire me the day I was to come back to work.

You'd be hard pressed to find any employer in this country who hasn't had to have such a dialog with their employees regarding the rising cost of medical insurance and a substantial increase in premiums. I see nothing in your post that substantiates the reason you were terminated was because of your health care costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">