• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

past employer still owes me reimbursment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

csand111

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I went to work for a newly established company in June 2000. I knew the owner well and it was a very legitamate opprotunity. Anyway, when opening up the locations I was asked by my employer to just put some things on my cc and I would be reimbursed. I did so (Stupid Me), the first couple of reimbursement requests were paid very quickly and in full. Then my employer hired someone to come in and fill the position of operations manager over all locations. This person was not the nicest or most honest person out there. Anyway, I continued doing my job as instructed and things were going great the location I was directly responsible for was doing better than expected. I traveled around alot on this job so I had mileage to be reimbursed as well as the other things on my cc (office supplies, furniture, etc.) Anyway, one day the new operations manager showed up at my office and fired me saying I was not performing my job and did not recruit enough clients. I was never told I had a specific number of clients to recruit as a requirment in my job. So I was fired by here. I sent in all the reimbursment receipts for the items I had charged on my account, I also made copies of receipts for my records, as well as my documented mileage. I never received a check so I called after 2 weeks and was told that they received my request, but did not receive any receipts, so i sent another request along with a copy of the receipts. Again, no check, called and was told they had to have the original receipts not copies. Well, I sent them the original receipts. I do not trust this OM and do not understand how they can say they received the request and no receipts when all was in the same envelope and stapled together.
My question is: Can they not pay me the reimbursement based on receipt copies vs. originals? Also, is there a SOL on this and getting the reimbursement back. As you can see I have been trying to get them to pay me for a couple of years now. The amount owed is around $6,000.00. I have had to make the payments on my cc and the added interest rates from carrying this balance.
Also, would like to know if they can be made to pay the interest amount on my cc for the purchases made for them?
I have been making only the minimum payment on this card because I can not afford any thing more. This payment is a hardship for us as i was diagnosed with breast cancer and have been unable to work. So I really need them to reimburse me so I can get this debt off me and my family.
Sorry, this is so long. And thank you in advance for any help in this matter.

Beth3

This has been going on for a couple of YEARS? Clearly they have no intention of reimbursing you and there are no employment laws that require them to. You're going to have to sue them to be reimbursed for the money you are owed. The cheapeast and easiest way to approach this is in small claims court but you'll want to check to see what the dollar limit is in your State that you can pursue.

If, for example, the limit is $5,000 and your damages are $6,000+, you'll have to decide whether you want to just go after the dollar amout that it's within the court's jurisdiction to award, or whether you want to hire an attorney and pursue this in regular court. And you'll want to weigh the cost of doing that carefully.

C

csand111

Thank you for your response, I will check into the dollar amount. Do you happen to know about the Statutes of Limitations?
Thanks again, and I beleive Small claims will be the best and quickest way for me to go.

Beth3

"Do you happen to know about the Statutes of Limitations?" Sorry, I don't but I'm sure someone in the Clerk of Courts office for small claims can advise you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">