• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pay reduction for tardiness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

payclerk

Is it legal in the state of Ohio to reduce the pay of an hourly worker by 15 minutes of pay for every 1 minute of tardiness. My boss makes me deduct $2.00 for an $8.00/hr worker if he is 1 minute late, $4.00 if he is 2 minutes late and so on and so on. I feel guilty doing this. They do this even on Saturday's which is a voluntary work day.

A

Attorney_Replogle

Sorry that I don't know the answer to that query. It would be best if you called or emailed an employment law attorney in your state. Or, call the state Labor Board.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

N

newmom

I think the answer to this ? lies in the pay policy of the employer. If an employee at my company is 1 to 15 minutes late, they get paid from 15 after the hour, 16 to 30 minutes late, they get paid from 30 after the hour and so on. Employers usually have incements in which they pay - ours is 15 minute increments. Some employers pay by the minute. I am not sure about taking a dollar amount for every minute late - that could take an employee below minimum wage for the given week if he/she was late enough and that would be a problem for them employer (being employees MUST make at least minimum wage).

P

payclerk

Thank you both for taking time to reply. I will call the labor board in Ohio and post their response just FYI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">