• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paychecks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

precious_52627

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I recently left a company where I was employed as a salaried manager. After a month of being gone I received an envelope from this company containing 3 paychecks. I had already picked up my last paycheck from them, they had not terminated me in their computer system. I put these checks in my savings account, thinking I might as well earn some interest on their money until someone discovered that I was still being paid and not working there anymore. 2 weeks later I received another paycheck, that I again put in my savings account. The company finally realized that I had been paid extra and called and asked if I would return the checks. Someone in personnel at my new company stated that I did not have to return the money, that they had sent them in error and because they had not terminated me in their system that I was able to keep the paychecks. Is this true? Not sure that I will keep it even if I can, but it would be nice to know.

Thank you,
Precious_52627

Jeter

Not sure that I will keep it even if I can, but it would be nice to know.

A*-Wait, let me pull my boots up a little higher, then I'll find the answer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let me put it this way. Legally, ethically, and morally, you have no right to the money. If the company chooses to allow you to keep it, they can. But if they decide later that they want it back, they can demand it.

If they are telling you that you can keep it, I'd ask them to put that in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">