• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paychecks still coming

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chilady

I am in the state of Illinois. I was laid off by my employer and was given 3 weeks of severance and paid for my unused vacation. This layoff was part of a massive company layoff. The company has sent me my Cobra information and also a big packet of "job search" information. I received my severance, signed up for unemployment (I received one week of pay from unemployment) and starting working 1 month after being laid off.

2 weeks ago I received a check stub from my previous employer for 2 more weeks of pay. It was direct deposited into my checking account and on the check stub the salary was listed under the category of "October Severance". I thought maybe I had miscalculated. Now it appears that another check has been deposited in my checking account (have not seen the stub, but my bank balance this morning indicates that another deposit has arrived.)

I know I should notify the company about this. What are my legal obligations: 1. Must I notify the company of this? 2. Do I have to return the money?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes and yes. If it is clearly a mistake you are obligated to let them know and offer to return the money. If it's not a mistake they'll tell you. But if it is a mistake, you do nothing, and later they find the error and come after you for it, you'll be hard pressed to explain why you kept money you knew you were not entitled to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">