• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying back mistakes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bear505

We're in Georgia,

My Wife was working for a small loan finance company. During the course of a day's business money was brought in for payments and paid out for small loans. If at the end of the day, the "Drawer" came up short, she was required to pay the money back, now if the drawer came out over, she didn't get to keep the exess, She had complained to her district supervisors about the computer system not being accurate, or that perhaps there was some training that she missed. (addition and subtraction, and counting is one of her strong points usually)She has since quit the job, mainly because she couldn't afford to work there anymore. Is this legal in Georgia? before she quit she had paid back hundreds of dollars over several months. The last one was $140.00 in one whack. seeing as how she was bringing home just over $700.00 every 2 weeks, it made it not quite worth it to go to work everyday.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
According to my chart Georgia law is silent on the subject of whether or not employees may be charged for shortages, losses and breakages, but that is illegal in enough states (it is NOT illegal in all states, but it is in many) that I would strongly advise a call to the GA Department of Labor and see what they have to say.

B

Bear505

thanks again

Thanks for the Quick Reply,

We'd planned on doing that, but since there is such a plethora of knowledge on this site, I figured there would be an answer out there.

Knowing that it is illeagle in a lot of states I think is what I was looking for.

thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">