• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying back wages

• Thread starter SeasonalCompany
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SeasonalCompany

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I am a seasonal business, and when my employees were let go at the end of the season, I had yet to pay one of them, because of some slow paying recievables. He was very accomdating, and after sometime I got funding by factoring the accounts, so I could pay him. I was communicating with him about the payment arrangements, and stated that I would be send the check, but I needed a new w-4 for this year. I was informed or somewhat threatened with something called the Nebraska Wage Payment Act. I had never heard of such a thing, and tried to read the information on the internet, but it is somewhat confusing. I have been trying to figure out what to do, and am seeking for guidance. If I don't withhold taxes and such am I going to be in trouble later, or if I do, what will be the consequences of the Payment Act. If anyone has come accross such a situation your help would be appreciated.

R

Ramoth

The Nebraska Wage Payment Act would be the act that states how soon you must pay an employee's final wages. You're WAAAAY late with this guy's check. You do not need a new W4 for this year - you can use the same form you used last year, or withhold as single/0, but you need to get this guy his check immediately is not sooner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">