• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Paying for Employment Verification Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marcos_NJ

What is the name of your state? NJ

The employer is in TX, and the job was a 1099 contractor's position to do work-from-home employment.

I have applied for a job with a major National company that uses a service to do background and employment history verifications.

This former employer in TX has notified me that the employment verification company has requested employment history information, but they will only release the information if I pay them a fee. Although the fee is nominal, I would like to know if this is even legal.

Kindest regards,
Marcos

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

The employer is in TX, and the job was a 1099 contractor's position to do work-from-home employment.

I have applied for a job with a major National company that uses a service to do background and employment history verifications.

This former employer in TX has notified me that the employment verification company has requested employment history information, but they will only release the information if I pay them a fee. Although the fee is nominal, I would like to know if this is even legal.

Kindest regards,
Marcos
They aren't required to provide ANY information. I don't see a small "administrative" fee as that bad of a thing.

HomeGuru

Kindest regards,
Marcos
**A: pay it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">