• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying for independant contractors time while in training

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

willi

What is the name of your state? SC

I sent my independant contractor out west for a week of training. I agreed to pay for the course he took and ALL expenses - travel, accomadations, rental car, etc.

He bills me every two weeks for accounts that he works on hourly. I bill the account for his time and he takes over half of the hourly rate. His last bill included the days he was in training - that's 5 days, 8 hours a day. We di not agree to this he just assumed I'd pay him while he was in training.

Do I have to pay him for this time when I picked up all the expenses?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

willi said:
What is the name of your state? SC

I sent my independant contractor out west for a week of training. I agreed to pay for the course he took and ALL expenses - travel, accomadations, rental car, etc.

He bills me every two weeks for accounts that he works on hourly. I bill the account for his time and he takes over half of the hourly rate. His last bill included the days he was in training - that's 5 days, 8 hours a day. We di not agree to this he just assumed I'd pay him while he was in training.

Do I have to pay him for this time when I picked up all the expenses?

My response:

The training is for your benefit. What did you expect his creditors to say to him when he couldn't pay his bills because you didn't pay him for his hours?

Pay the man!

IAAL

W

willi

If that is the case then he should pay for his travel expenses. All independant contractors do. After the cost of the course and the travel expenses - he will owe me money.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

willi said:
If that is the case then he should pay for his travel expenses. All independant contractors do. After the cost of the course and the travel expenses - he will owe me money.

My response:

Wrong. That's not how it works. He went on this little adventure at your request and behest. He didn't do it for his health. He did it because you wanted him to be more valuable to YOUR business.

Pay the man, you cheapskate.

IAAL

JETX

"If that is the case then he should pay for his travel expenses. All independant contractors do. After the cost of the course and the travel expenses - he will owe me money."
*** Based on your first post, you had already agreed to pay those expenses. As such, you can't just 'change' your agreement at your will.

Beth3

You should have worked all this out in a written agreement before you engaged his services.

All a consult has to sell is his time. Yes, you should pay him. He's attending this training at your behest. It's no different than if he were in your offices right now, working away. Most IC's also charge for related travel expenses too.

As IAAL said, pay the man!

W

willi

C

coosi

You asked for free advice. Experts in litigation and employment law have answered you. Take it or leave it...no one wants to argue about it.

W

willi

Thanks fo all the advice but here is some back at ya!

I came on this board expecting some professional opinions but I see that is not the case. Please read the below solution so the next time somone ask for advice re: Independant Contractors you'll know how to reply instead of calling people names.

CHEAPSKATE! - I'm not a million dollar business buddy! I have a family to support too. I just have a independant contractor with poor communications skills.

If an Independant Contractor takes a training class at your request he is responsible for his travel expenses but you are responsible for the cost of the course. You invested in his future and as a result are entitlited to be reimbursed for your investment. Opportunities involving his training should be used to pay back the company that paid for the course over time. Only to the degree that the course has been paid for.

Yes it cost money to obtain an education! Ever heard of Tuition!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

willi said:

My response:

We read the above the first time. You're still wrong. It hasn't changed.

Either you're terminally stupid, or you're originally from Arkansas - - one or the other.

Boy, just on principle alone, if your IC came to me with his case against you, I'd take it, and plaster your butt on the courthouse walls.

You must really be itching for a lawsuit.

IAAL

K

krispenstpeter

WRONG! when I was working for a living as a consultant for Real, Visa and PALM among others, and they wanted me to go for training, guess who paid not only the training cost, transportation AND my salary (at that time $140 an hour)?

You got it bubba, the company.

And guess what? I pay my own IAs the same way. Either pay the man, get sued or go out of business. Any way you look at it you are legally liable for the expense.

And if you can't afford to pay the man then go out of business. That's also an option and one other IAs will thank you for.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Thanks fo all the advice but here is some back at ya!

willi said:
I came on this board expecting some professional opinions but I see that is not the case. Please read the below solution so the next time somone ask for advice re: Independant Contractors you'll know how to reply instead of calling people names.

CHEAPSKATE! - I'm not a million dollar business buddy! I have a family to support too. I just have a independant contractor with poor communications skills.

If an Independant Contractor takes a training class at your request he is responsible for his travel expenses but you are responsible for the cost of the course. You invested in his future and as a result are entitlited to be reimbursed for your investment. Opportunities involving his training should be used to pay back the company that paid for the course over time. Only to the degree that the course has been paid for.

Yes it cost money to obtain an education! Ever heard of Tuition!

My response:

You have a skewed way of looking at life. The money you spent was for YOU. Theoretically, you could have taken the course yourself, but you decided to send your IC instead - - because it was better business practice for you to stay at the business, AND your business could STILL reap the benefits of what the IC learned. But for the "benefits" to you and your business, would you have still sent him to the classes?

Obviously, "No."

So, when you subtract out the costs of the classes and travel and accomodations, where does that leave him? It leaves him penniless. Like I said, he didn't go "for his health". He went at your insistance, for the sole purpose of making your business better.

Listen, when your IC sues you, you're going to hear the phrase "pattern and practice" over and over. That's just one of the theories where you're going to lose the lawsuit.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">