• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payroll Deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jshabaker

What is the name of your state? CA

I own a trucking business in San Francisco. I had a verbal agreement with an employee regarding Nextel cell phone usage/activation. The agreement was that if she choose to activate her cell phone, it would be at her own expense. Well, she went on disability on May 11th and has NOT returned to work since then. She has been quite busy, filing sexual discrimination claims, workers comp, claims with the state commissioners office, EDD, etc. Anyhow, I deduced $500.- some odd dollars from her final paycheck for the cell phone usage, which might I add was all personal calls. Drivers have no need for a cell phone, only a radio. Was I allowed to deduct this amount from her paycheck because 1) there was a verbal agreement 2) this is NOT a company expense, rather a personal expense. I know this may not be the right category to post this in, but this was the closest place I could find. Your input/experience is greatly appreciated.

S

Sinsaint26

No. You should give the employee her final paycheck in full and go after her in small claims court for the cell phone bill.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In your state, you must have a WRITTEN agreement from the employee before you can make any deductions, unless the deductions are required by law or expressly authorized by contract. You will need to give her the full check since you have no written authorization to deduct for the cell phone charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">