• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payroll Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aeverman

In the state of Texas, what are the classifications and levels of payroll fraud? More specifically, payroll fraud dealing with exempt employees.

Basically what are the possible criminal charges that can be brought against an exempt city employee regarding payroll fraud? Are there money amounts set to determine the severity of the crime? Does being an exempt employee protect them?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

eerelations

Please describe the fraud being committed. We'll need this info before we can accurately respond to your questions.

aeverman

Basically an exempt city employee working a 6 - 7 hour day when they are scheduled to work 10, and this consistantly occurs. My question is, although the employee and is exempt, this employee accepts a payroll check bi weekly for an incorrect amount (an amount more than actual hours worked)

thanks for the help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Exempt employees are not paid on the basis of hours worked. They are paid a set salary that does not change regardless of how many hours are or are not worked.

aeverman

But isn't there a fair assumption at some point in an eight month period they would actually work a full 40 hours instead of consistantly 32 hours or less. There has to be a safe guard against this regarding this occuring with city government

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is entirely an issue between the employee and his/her manager. The concept of a 40 hour week is meaningless for exempt employees. It doesn't matter if they work 20 hours a week or 72 hours a week or any number in between, above or below. An exempt employee is paid on the basis of the job they do, not on the basis of hours worked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">