• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

payroll overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scats

I live in Michigan. I resigned from a company 8.5 months ago. Today I received a letter from my former employer stating that I must repay my time off taken while employed within 10 days or be prosecuted. Is this legal? A) Can they require that I reimburse them for paid time off taken? B) If they CAN request this is there any limit to how much time can pass before making the request? THANKS!

L

loku

Paid time off?

How the pay for time off is handled depends on your contract, if you had one. If not, it depends on company policy, particularly if the policy is published. If, under their policy, you would owe them a reimbursement, then you are obliged to pay it. If, under their policy, you do not owe the reimbursement, then you have no obligation to them. If they had no clear cut published policy, then probably you would win this and you would not have to reimburse them.

In any case, you may be sued in a civil suit, but unless there is something about this that you did not tell us, you can not be prosecuted in a criminal case.

I don't know the statute of limitations on their notification, but it is cerainly longer than 8.5 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">