• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payroll Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jbenze

What is the name of your state? New York

Hello, I hope I am posting this is the right place. About 2 months ago I quit my old job. I gave them my 2 weeks notice (to 2 different managers) in a letter and over voice mail. I have since continued to recieve paychecks from the company. I called up to speak to one manager to find out he is no longer in charge of my division and did not yet know who was to replace him. I called another manager who said she would deal with the problem. Because I figured that the company would eventually realize what happened, I kept all the money. I spoke to 2 of my former coworkers today, they said that a 3rd party in the accounting dept had been filling out my payroll forms for me since they had not yet taken me out of the payroll system. Evidently the manager who was reassigned never processed my paperwork. My question is, while I assume that the company is entitled to their money back, how long do they have to claim it? No one has contacted me about the money and neither manager has returned a phone call. Thanks for any help you can offer me.

JB

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, the company is entitled to receive their money back, and unless your state has a specific statute of limitations (most don't, but you can check with your state DOL) they have as long to claim it as they want. And I'm talking months and possibly years, not days.

However, I would suggest that you send them a certified letter informing them of what is going on and requesting that they send you instructions. If that fails, mail them a check. I guarantee that will get their attention, and it will take at least some of the burden off you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">