• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Penalty for lying in arbitration.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erock

What is the name of your state? De

Hi I have a question I recently was fired. I worked as a stock brokers in a bank. I have to go through NASD arbitration. The employees who fired me are lying...they lied at the unemployment hearing and they are going to lie in arbitration.

What are the penalties of perjury in NASD arbitration I know it's a felony in federal court. Is it also a felony in arbitration.

Thanks,

Eric

quincy

First, I am not an expert on this, so you should wait for other posters, and also go to www.finra.org/ArbitrationMediation/index.htm and www.nasd.com/arbitration_mediation for additional information.

An arbitrator acts much like a judge in a court of law, but arbitrators are not as strictly bound by case precedents and statutory laws as are judges. They are given a wider berth when interpreting the law. If an arbitrator determines a rule or statute has been violated, disciplinary action may follow but it is up to the arbitrator whether to seek action or not. If an arbitrator disregards the law entirely, however, a state or federal court can vacate an award.

At an arbitration hearing, all who will be testifying are sworn to tell the truth. A verbatim record of the proceeding should be kept, in the event of a dispute over what was said. Each case that comes before an arbitrator is judged on the written and oral testimonies and evidence presented. You, or your attorney if you are represented by one, may object to both the testimony and evidence. You can object to testimony that you feel is false. If you know going into arbitration that employees are going to lie, try to provide evidence that they are lying. Otherwise it will be he-said/she-said, and it will be up to the arbitrator to decide who is lying and who is not.

All decisions an arbitrator makes are final and binding, and you cannot litigate in court after arbitration.

Even in courts of law, perjured testimony (a felony) often goes without prosecution. A judge is more apt to cite the "liar" with contempt of court.

Again, wait for others to post who have MUCH more knowledge about this than I do.

JETX

What are the penalties of perjury in NASD arbitration I know it's a felony in federal court.
Assuming that the arbitration statements are made under oath (as normally the case), the penalty is a criminal charge of perjury.
Your best hope is to provide your proof of perjury IMMEDIATELY after they utter the statements and get their lie and claim support while under oath.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">