• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pending Charges that could effect a employment background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matthewM80

I'm currently awaiting a background check for a job, but about a month ago I was in a misunderstanding involving retail theft. The police were call and I was arrested and charged with retail theft. I had my hearing and explained my side of the story to the judge. He decided to reduce the charge to Disorderly conduct since he believed me that I was sincere in my claim that it was a misunderstanding, but because he has an obligation the the store as well. However I wont be sentenced for another week and I'm worried that the pending status of the case will affect my chances at the job. I was told by a friend that works in human resources about the situation, and he instructed me to not talk about any pending charges. However I feel like if I don't disclose this information it can do more harm than good. I was hoping somebody could give me some guidance. Should I call my prospective employer and and tell them the whole situation or should I keep my lips shut.

swalsh411

I wouldn't volunteer this. If directly asked, I would be truthful. (although there is no law that requires you to be)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">