• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pension question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momrn0112

my state is Massachusetts
I was terminated from an RN position on Sept.1. I am in the MNA. It is currently in the greivance state and I was told it will go to arbitration. I was paid out my holiday time. My insurance ended 2 days after I was terminated and I have been attempting to collect unemployment until my new position starts on November 1 with a new hospital. I am expecting UI will be declined and I will appeal it . However, I was vested for my pension after 5 years. I was terminated after 15 years. I am wondering if I am entitled to a payout of my pension? I do not plan on returning to my old employer after arbitration if i win. Thank you for your advice.

Beth3

I am wondering if I am entitled to a payout of my pension? Only your employer can answer that question. We don't even know what kind of pension or retirement plan you have.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If it is a bona fide pension plan (and not a 401k or other deferred tax plan) and you are under the age of 55, no, you are not entitled to a payout of your pension plan. Federal regulations prohibit the distribution of a pension plan until a minimum of age 55, and to do it that early would almost certainly mean a lower payout than if you waited till age 65.

This doesn't mean you can't ever receive the money; only that you can't receive it now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">