• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pension Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

justletgo

What is the name of your state? PA

I've been asked to sign a general release in exchange for enhanced separation pay. I would be releasing the company from any and all claims against the company, known or unknown. Is it possible that this could include any claim I may have for a pension when I retire? (I was fully vested several years ago in the company's defined benefit plan).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, this would in no way affect your pension. Even if the company tried to claim it did (and I sincerely doubt that they would even try) such an agreement would not be enforceable under the law, as far as your pension is concerned.

The type of language you refer to is standard and refers to legal claims and wage issues against the company. It does not affect pension, unemployment, open workers comp claims, or anything that is a legally protected right. A vested pension is legally protected under the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">