• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

performance improvement plan at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alicehaar1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Va

After 20 years with my company, and nothing but good performance reviews until now, I have a new supervisor, and have recently been placed on Performance Improvement Program. I signed the document, but under emotional duress, due to my shock because of having no previous warning. I consider it to be unfair, and believe my new supervisor has it in for me. I'm looking for advise as to what to do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are no laws whatsoever, in any state in the US, regarding performance improvement plans. Unless you have a valid and supportable reason to believe that your supervisor placed you on a PIP solely for a reason that would violate discrimination or other workforce laws (not policies - laws), your option is to take whatever action you need to, to see that your supervisor considers your performance to be improving.

commentator

Keep your eyes open and chill for a few minutes. What sort of employment is this? Is it a private business, a state or local civil service, a union or non union business? What is your approximate age? You say you've been working there for 20+ years? In the meantime, do not discuss this situation with your co-workers. Do not raise gripe about how you've been treated. Do not make a fuss. Be quiet, professional, and diligent about doing your job. Do not give them any quick and easy ways to get rid of you, such as being chronically late, missing a lot of work for questionable reasons, or being attitudinal or uncooperative. Yes, they can terminate you. Yes, they can find your work unsuitable or unapproved, even after years of successful evaluations. But if it appears that this is an unwarranted effort to get rid of you, and it looks like it could possibly be due to your age, then you may have an EEOC grievance with this employer. Answer my questions.

alicehaar1

Keep your eyes open and chill for a few minutes. What sort of employment is this? Is it a private business, a state or local civil service, a union or non union business? What is your approximate age? You say you've been working there for 20+ years? In the meantime, do not discuss this situation with your co-workers. Do not raise gripe about how you've been treated. Do not make a fuss. Be quiet, professional, and diligent about doing your job. Do not give them any quick and easy ways to get rid of you, such as being chronically late, missing a lot of work for questionable reasons, or being attitudinal or uncooperative. Yes, they can terminate you. Yes, they can find your work unsuitable or unapproved, even after years of successful evaluations. But if it appears that this is an unwarranted effort to get rid of you, and it looks like it could possibly be due to your age, then you may have an EEOC grievance with this employer. Answer my questions.
Thank you. I work for a non union private firm. My age is mid 50s

commentator

Approximately how many employees? Is there anyone else who works there who is about your age, has your level of seniority? If so, from what you can tell, are they being singled out in a like manner? Discretely, I mean, do find out about this. Are there any rumors that this new person has been hired to be the "hired gun" who kills off people because they're hired to do so? Or was this just sort of out of the blue?

All the other posts on the site are very on target. In your "at will" state, there's really nothing much you can do if they up and terminate you without a whole lot of ammunition, just because they feel like doing it. But you may, if it really appears that they've got it in for you due to age and duration of employment, have a slight chance of a valid EEOC related case. Or at least of causing them to think twice about terminating you offhand, as it might be interpreted as a direct attack against you due to your age, thus EEOC related.

As I said, keep your head down, do not discuss this with your co-workers and by all means, do the job to the very best of your abilities.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">