• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Performance Review - sign it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JSL141

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois
My manager has invented some performance problems and put me on an improvement plan. I've been given no opportunity to refute these allegations. He has sent me, via email, a Word document that he wants signed and faxed back to him. The signature block says "I have read, received, and understood a copy of this memo." Without an opportunity to discuss this, I don't feel comforatable signing. I don't want to imply I agree with what is documented.

Should I sign it? Write my position on the charges?

Regards

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Signing the statement t does NOT mean that you agree with it. It means exactly what it says; you have received it; you have read it; you understand what it says.

Given that you can be fired for refusing to sign it, I'd say that's your best bet.

In your state you have the right to write a rebuttal to any information going into your personnel file with which you do not agree, and the employer has to include that in your file as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">