• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

perm p/t to temp and effect on unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help needed pls

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
First I want to apologize for the length of this but want to give all the facts that may be needed.

I have a permanent part time job that I have worked for almost 2 yrs now. Earlier in the year several employees were let go due to the economy. My job was kept but my hours got cut in half (from 20 weekly to 10). Another employee gave me some of his hours so I have been working about 15 weekly. About a month ago I was offered a ‘temp’ position making much less but getting 30 hrs weekly. I was also assured that I would be able to return to my permanent position once the temp position was up so I accepted. I had not yet started the ‘temp’ job because they did not process the paperwork.

This past week I was told by another employee that this temp job was being cut to 20 hrs weekly. Doing the math, I would be working more hours and making less $, so I told my supervisor that I no longer wanted that temp job and would keep what I had. My supervisor informed me at this time that they were actually trying to ‘help me out’ because they are having to eliminate my position, and needs to know if I want this temp job (now only 20 hrs and only for a couple of months). (Employer not being very forthcoming on the facts so I am not sure what kind of ‘deal’ this really is).

I called the unemployment office explained the above and asked this question below and was told they would call me back but they did not. How would unemployment be affected if I accept this two month temp job at much lower pay? IF I take this temp position will that disqualify me for unemployment when I am let go? If the answer is no, will it affect the hourly rate used to calculate unemployment?

Also, will unemployment be based on my perm position and the 20 hours I was hired at or the actual hours worked? I have no exp with unemployment or with losing a job. I know it is only a part time but I am a college student and already looking for a new job I will def miss the income in the mean time. Anyone with knowledge/info on how this works would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ecmst12

Unemployment is based on the wages you made, not the hours you worked. If you turn down the job, you won't be able to get unemployment because you turned down work. If there is no job for you when the temp position ends, you should qualify.

help needed pls

Unemployment is based on the wages you made, not the hours you worked. If you turn down the job, you won't be able to get unemployment because you turned down work. If there is no job for you when the temp position ends, you should qualify.
ecmst,
you have helped me so much. I was thinking the opposite, that the temp job would disqualify me and was considering turning it down because of that. Thank you very very much.

march11

That is a very good question...

I myself was just fired back in August. My employer fired me for Absenteeism. I found out I was pregnant in March but prior to that my Father passed away. The employer gave me two days for mourning but was told that if I needed more time I could take it. So I did, I used the rest of my pto time(paid time off) because I had to help my mom with funeral and such. After that when I found out I was pregnant of course I had to go to all my doctor's appts but I made time up if I needed. Then there was a problem with my fiancee getting locked up and again I had to take off work to handle that. I used whatever pto time I accrued or made the time up. In August I had to move into an apt which meant that I had to call off work but I had pto time to cover. This was the only time I could move in. Yes it was short notice but there was nothing I could do. My job knew about my situations and what I was going through but the very next I went back to work, worked for 2 hours and got fired. They even gave me my last paycheck. I applied for Unemployment and still waiting to hear back. I never had to file for uc either so I don't know what to do. Do I still continue to looke for work even though I applied for uc? I'm also 7 months pregnant. What should I do?

GonzoFL

I understand your pregnant,but according to Florida UC law,in order to be eligible for unemployment compensation,you must seek and be able to work. With that in mind,I suggest you search for employment. I'm sure your thinking 'who is going to want to hire a woman that is 7 months pregnant"? None the less,at least apply for jobs. If your eligible for UC,your work search attempts will keep you in UC compliance.

commentator

Hey, perm to temp person, there are a couple of things that you need to know. When you switch to temp, you switch to working for a temporary manpower service and go onto their payroll, as opposed to the regular employer's payroll, right? I sort of think you should be careful with this idea, you may want to just go on and get laid off by your regular employer if they will give you this option.

When you become an employee of the temp service, when your temp assignment ends, you must report back to the temp service, not just file for unemployment. IF they do not have any other appropriate assignments to send you on, you will be able to receive unemployment until they have something to send you on. Since they are your separating employer, they will be the ones who will be contact if you file for unemployment, and you get to draw if they say your assignment ended and they did not have any more work for you. They can also call you for assignments, and report it and it may stop your claim if you refuse to accept these new assignments. Many temp services employ private contractors who do nothing but try to keep their employees from receiving unemployment benefits.

This, who you are working for, is the biggest thing to consider when going from employed by the company to employed by a temp service at the company. If your company gives you a laid off due to lack of work or position eliminated, the unemployment office will not turn around and reject you instantly because there was a temp job you could have taken, unless you tell them that you had this choice and refused it. But it doesn't sound like that is much of an option, the way they're taking so long to get the paperwork done and everything. The temp service may not really even have a job for you.

I do not know if Florida passed the changes about p.t. work to get the stimulus money, they were talking like they were not going to, but if not, for sure you will have to say you are available for full time work, even though you are only working part time now. You also will probably have a fairly low Weekly Benefit Amount, since you have only been working part time for so long. The amount of weekly benefits you can draw is based on an average of the two highest of the ...well, let's just say your highest quarters in the last 18 months, besides the one we are currently in.

The ultimate most anyone can draw a week in Florida is $275. Some states are adding $25 a week to all claims based on the stimulus money, but like I say, I don't know about FL. Gonzo probably does. You likely will not qualify for the max. benefit.

Though the temp job is just that, a temp job, which ties you to a temp agency, you may want to keep working at anything and everything you could as long as you could, because your weekly benefit is going to be awfully low when and if you do get it.

Last edited:

commentator

Now, pregnant lady who got fired, when you start your own post, tell us whether you were fired for absenteeism, and then tell us whether you had a doctor's excuse for your VERY LAST absence, and then it will help us make an educated guess if you are going to be approved for benefits at all.

Gonzo's right, you have to state that you are able and available for work with no restrictions, though your chances of being hired anywhere are very slim. But frankly, it doesn't sound very promising that you'll be approved if you were fired for absenteeism. It doesn't matter if your fiancee got locked up, or your car wouldn't start or you needed more time than the company allowed you for a funeral. If they wanted to fire you, and you violated the absenteeism policy, you'll probably be denied benefits.

Unemployment insurance is not needs based, they don't have to give it to you because you are pregnant, out of work, have no place to go, etc. The Social Services programs like Food Stamps and Dependent children and WIC are the other alternatives when you're out of work, pregnant, and can't find another job very quickly.

GonzoFL

Your are correct commentator,the max in Florida is $275.00 per week,the minimum I believe is $32.00 plus the extra $25.00. As for the changes to state law pertaining to P.T. work and UC......I'm not 100% sure but I think the legislature passed on that this spring. They left $444 million dollars on the table from the ARRA...the good ol' boys said there were to many "strings" attached. Anyway,for the OP, here is a back line number to Florida AWI....leave a message if necessary...They do call back.
877-846-8770
EX: 1493,5293,or5296

march11

Sorry perm p/t to temp

I didn't mean to jump in on your thread. I hit the wrong thing.
Everyone else I did start a.new thread so all your advice is greatly appreciated.
Again I'm sorry.
(Pregnant and fired)

help needed pls

thank you to everyone taking the time to respond.

commentator,
i probably was not clear in that the perm job is a city job and the temp job is also a city job (not through a temp agency). So hopefully I am good to go because i told them i would take it. It is not real clear on how long the temp job is but oh well, it's a job.

thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">