• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Permanent Resident wants to work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rubi1026

Disgruntled in HOUSTON,TEXAS-
I recently lost my permanent resident card and my new employer says I need to show her the actual card. It is not enough that I know my number. I did manage to replace my driver's license and ssn fairly quickly but as anyone with experience with the INS knows, it could take up to 6 months to get a replacement card. It has been two months since I submitted my paperwork to INS and I barely received a receipt for my money order ($110.00!!). My employer gave me three weeks or else I'm fired. I told my dad and he said that that is discrimination because no one is allowed to work without a driver's license and ssn, anyway. I don't know but I need help. Does he have any clue what he is talking about? Thanks.

L

loku

Lost papers

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) requires employers to prove all employees hired after November 6, 1986, are legally authorized to work in the United States. IRCA also prohibits discrimination based on national origin or citizenship. An employer who singles out individuals of a particular national origin or individuals who appear to be foreign to provide employment verification may have violated both IRCA and Title VII. Employers who impose citizenship requirements or give preference to U.S. citizens in hiring or employment opportunities may have violated IRCA, unless these are legal or contractual requirements for particular jobs. Employers also may have violated Title VII if a requirement or preference has the purpose or effect of discriminating against individuals of a particular national origin.

Employers with four or more employees are prohibited from committing document abuse. Document abuse occurs when an employer requests an employee or applicant to produce a specific document, or more or different documents than are required, to establish employment eligibility or rejects valid documents that reasonably appear genuine on their face. Employers must accept any of the documents or combination of documents listed on the back of the INS Form I-9 to establish identity and employment eligibility. Examples of document abuse include requiring immigrants to present a specific document, such as a "green card" or any INS-ISSUED document, upon hire to establish employment eligibility, and refusing to accept tendered documents that appear reasonable on their face and that relate to the individual. U.S. citizens and all immigrants with employment authorization are protected from document abuse. --U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Special Counsel

The following link will bring you to a site that has the rules for documents the employer can require you to show and for what to do when a document you need is lost: http://www.usda.gov/agency/oce/oce/labor-affairs/ircasumm.htm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">