• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Permanetly put in pants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BOOBEE420

I live in South Carolina and I work at a Golf Club. I was hired about 8 months ago. I was hired to work on the golf course as the beverage cart attendant. Heres my problem, about 2 months ago I was told by our general manager that I am no longer allowed to wear shorts to work because I have visible tattoos. The same tattoos I have had since before being hired. I have not gotten any new ones and I don't wear extremely short shorts to try and show them off. I am the ONLY employee required to wear pants at all times. (Supposivley some members have complained that they don't like the fact that I have tattoos.) But, there is NO employee handbook with a dress code AND my tattoos do not stop me from performing my job and I have been complimented on serveral occassions about the good job I do, but still I am being forced to follow a dress code that only exsists for me due to the artwork on my thigh. Is this fair? Can they do this to me? I feel like I am being discriminated against and I feel that I will be put in uncomfortable working conditions once the summer arrives. What can I do......

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, quite interesting. Here is my take: regardless of whether it affects your work or not, some businesses maintain a certain standard and look. Hence why you do not see people in torn shirts working at law firms or in a fancy restaurant.

So, although I believe 100% in freedom of expression and hate dress codes, I think this may be a case of possible management making a judgment call.

If you feel it is a wrong call on management's part because you feel singled out, here is what I have found for you:

(this applies more towards labor union stuff)
SECTION 41-7-70. Interference with right to work, compelling labor organization membership, picketing and the like made unlawful.

It shall be unlawful for any person, acting alone or in concert with one or more persons:

(1) By force, intimidation, violence or threats thereof, or violent or insulting language, directed against the person or property, or any member of the family of any person (a) to interfere, or attempt to interfere, with such person in the exercise of his right to work, to pursue or engage in, any lawful vocation or business activity, to enter or leave any place of his employment, or to receive, ship or deliver materials, goods or services not prohibited by law or (b) to compel or attempt to compel any person to join, or support, or refrain from joining or supporting any labor organization

I really couldn't find anything. But here are a few links for you to look. The first is your state codes and the second is a link I found via an internet search.
http://www.leginfo.state.sc.us/code/index.html

http://www.mycounsel.com/content/smbusiness/employmentlaw/policies/dress.html

B

BOOBEE420

Thank you so much for your input. I do understand what you mean about what is appropriate and where the manager feels he made a judgement call. If I was hired and told at that time about my tattoos I would have been perfectly fine with me having to make sure they were covered. My problem however is that it took them 8 months to tell me this, and I wasn't given any other options but to no longer wear shorts and I felt that is what singled me out. Being put in pants and no longer being allowed to wear shorts. My personal oppinion is if he puts all the cart girls is shorts then it would make his decision more fair and I would not feel singled out. And wearing the pants in extremly hot weather WILL interfere with my job performance and has actually drawn more attention to me. I am just not sure if the issue is worth bringing to the attention of a lawyer, because I love my job, I just don't want to be uncomfortable while doing it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">