• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

perplexed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whosetosay

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I am an executive for a global company and have been on a client account for four years. My compensation package states that if I'm let go, with or without cause, I receive a nice severance package. I have an outstanding reputation with both the client and the company that I work for.

A year or so ago, the director position for my client changed and a new person came in that quite honestly has made working conditions unbearable (several complaints have been filed by his employees). The new person's stance is that everyone of importance should be located in the home office state though no relocation packages have been offered. In addition, my management changed before Christmas of last year.

I'll skip the part of being blatently by-passed for my new manager's position because of political reasons that had nothing to do with skills or experience but.... in late January, my new manager and I got into a very heated argument, after which, I sent a letter of resignation (mostly to do with the long hours and the unreasonable requests of the client). I received a phone call from this person the next day in which the statement was made as follows: "I know you were very upset last night and I'm not going to do anything with this until you and I have a chance to talk to understand if this is really what you want to do" and I said that woud be great. We exchanged several e-mails and phone calls and acknowledged that we needed to get together.

I was able to meet with this person yesterday and was informed that the subject of my resignation was taken to the client the day after I sent it and that the client said that this may not be a bad idea. Clearly, it was an opportunity to have my position to report out of the home office state which again, no one had made an offer for me to move.

My manager then went on to say that I was being transitioned off of this account and my company would look to find me another position even if they had to keep me "on a shelf" until such time as they found me something as they didn't want to lose a good employee and the client clearly wants me to land on my feet.

My question/comment is...... no one has accepted my letter of resignation, my manager has stated that I'll be kept on the payroll until they find me another position. If they can't find me a comparable position, am I eligible for my severance and also unemployment?

Sorry for being long winded.....

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Your answer has been right in front of you all the time. You said, "My compensation package states that if I'm let go, with or without cause, I receive a nice severance package."

So, do what Soupy Sales did.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Quite frankly, no one here can answer either question.

To answer the question about the severance, one would have to have read the entire agreement. Context counts.

Only an adjudicator for the DET (or whatever they just changed their name to) can answer the question about unemployment. The likelihood is that you would be eligible but again, it is situation specific and ONLY someone from the state board can give you a definite answer.

W

whosetosay

The argument would be is that I resigned and was not let go.... though I am told they would like for me to stay on this account for 3-6 months.

Does that mean that my resignation is not enforceable?

By the way, I remember Soupy Sales well but have no idea what is argument was. Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Soupy was thrown off the air when he gave management "the finger" live, on the air.

Try it. You might get that severance package REAL QUICK!

IAAL

W

whosetosay

Thank you.... I'm cracking up. Change is good and your suggestion is probably where I'm heading!

On the other hand, I would like to let this new client know, in some form or fashion, that this behavior is really bad business and lest not forget my new manager.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">