• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Auto Usage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bancline

What is the name of your state? FL
I am in outside sales and use my personal car for business. After a year of employment, my employer asked me (and the other sales people) to include the company (large national firm) as insured on my personal autombile insurance policy. I refused, along with everyone else. Nothing happened. The company reimburses us for mileage, along with a percentage of sales for using our personal car.
Now the company is saying that we must put plastic advertising signs on the side of our personal cars with the company name and phone number as a condition of continued employment. They are also saying that we must sign a form stating that we have received the signs and acknowledge that we know we can be fined from $1,000 to $5,000 by the state agency that regulates the industry if we are stopped by a state agent and we do not have our vehicle identified. The employer is stating they will not be responsible for any fines by the state agency since we have received the signs.
I am concerned on several issues, in addition to not wanting signs on the side of my personal automobile.
1. What, if anything would I be liable for if I am involved in an accident if I have a sign on the side of my car identifying my employer?
2. Can I be terminated on an issue that has developed after my employment?
3. Can my employer force me (and the other sales people) to do this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) I'm not an expert on auto insurance but I see no reason why you'd be liable for anything that you wouldn't be liable for without the signs. So it would depend entirely on the circumstances of the accident.

2.) Yes. To be more specific, you can be fired for this issue.

3.) No. He can't force you. No one is holding a gun to your head. But he can fire you if you refuse.

anteater

May i inquire what industry this is and what kind of state agency would require that you have some kind of identifying sign on your vehicle? For a sales position?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">