• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hootie123

What is the name of your state? New York
I need advice for a situation that my boyfriend is in.
He was recently terminated from his position (two weeks ago). [Basically they thought he was personally taking business away from the company. Although, they never gave him a chance to explain himself.]
Anyway, my question lies in his personal possessions that were left onsite (he was fired over the phone). When asked to go retreive them he was told that he was not allowed on the property. He contacted HR with a list of items and again asked that either he go retreive them or they be sent to him. He was told they would be sent to him. He just found out yesterday, that not only have they not even begun to pack up his items, they are using them!
So basically, I am looking for feedback for a course of action or any labor laws about what we can do. He has quite a bit of items left there. He also told them if he does not have a date of return by this week, he will be invoicing the items (probably $3000 worth or so). Is this theft, can we call the police?

Thanks for any advice!

mlane58

He was recently terminated from his position (two weeks ago). [Basically they thought he was personally taking business away from the company. Although, they never gave him a chance to explain himself.]
Anyway, my question lies in his personal possessions that were left onsite (he was fired over the phone). When asked to go retreive them he was told that he was not allowed on the property. He contacted HR with a list of items and again asked that either he go retreive them or they be sent to him. He was told they would be sent to him. He just found out yesterday, that not only have they not even begun to pack up his items, they are using them!
So basically, I am looking for feedback for a course of action or any labor laws about what we can do. He has quite a bit of items left there. He also told them if he does not have a date of return by this week, he will be invoicing the items (probably $3000 worth or so). Is this theft, can we call the police?

Thanks for any advice!
This has nothing to do with labor laws. Your BF will have to take them to small claims to try and recover them or the monetary equivelent.

HomeGuru

Thanks for any advice!
**A: have him meet the police at his former place of employment.

Betty

I believe he can probably get the police involved or just sue them in small claims court for the worth of the items or their return. (either one)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">