• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Information stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

margaret310

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

A company I was laid off from in Massachusetts sent me a letter stating that a payroll computer was stolen from the company during a move. The computer contained my personal information, name, mailing address, phone#, soc.security # and direct deposit bank accounts along with other former employees. If someone uses my information because of this theft can I sue my former company for keeping my information on this computer since I have not been employed by the company since last sept. 2002.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you can't. There are a number of laws that your employer is required to comply with which require them to have your information available even after you are no longer employed with them. They can't just delete everything as soon as you're gone.

M

margaret310

Thankyou for your response. I am just curious do have any rights in a situation like this ?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
At the present time, you have suffered no damages. What kind of rights are you looking to exert?

Right now, you have the right to notify your bank, the DMV, the Social Security Administration, and any other applicable agencies that it is possible that an unauthorized person has access to your information. That's why your former employer notified you; so that you could take steps to protect yourself.

M

margaret310

I meant to say that should I incur damages from my personal information being stolen is my former company in any way liable for this ?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That would depend on facts not available to us at this time. But it's very unlikely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">