• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal or professional?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barneysmum

i am in the uk please help.

okay here goes, on 2/7/12 i was suspended from work as 2 people had made allegations against me claiming i had stolen and consumed alcohol whilst on shift. i have since then recieved copys of there statements. first allegation made against me, "as you are aware there has been an issue with the stock of ..... do you have any idea where this item has gone? ..... yes .....where has it gone?..... I know where some has gone..... Where is that? ..... MY NAME Mentioned..... Did she drink it? ..... yeah ..... When was that?..... i think monday or tuesday?..... Did she pay for it?..... No..... How much did she have?..... 2 days around 3 shots each day." second allegation, "as you are aware there has been an issue with the stock of ..... do you have any idea where this item has gone?... i know where some has gone, i have seen MY NAME drink it and she also had it on another occasion i think as there was another glass there. i dont think she had it with wine possibly soda water. i am not sure if the second glass was hers."
since making the first statement this person has had a second investigation where he has admitted to drinking it himself and been suspended also. on 10/7/12 i attended a disiplinary hearing, after handing in a grievance against the first guy denied all the allergations against me i then went on to prove that there was actually no evidence of 6 shots even being missing and that it was physically impossible for me to have consumed that amount as there wouldnt have been enough left in the bottle. my disciplinary hearing was suspended pending further investigation regarding the information i had put to them. since then i have heard that they are now going to get more statements from other members of staff who say that i offered them this drink, is this even legal as the the other guy has since been sacked? its clear that people are going to feel that it is my fault the other guy got sacked when infact it was him who got me suspended. can anybody help with some advice?? its clear that this is now more personal than professional as it feels they are trying to get somthing on me??

swalsh411

Your employer is not a court of law. They can fire you based on unproven allegations. They can fire you based on allegations they know are not true. They do not have to be fair, only legal.

If you are fired, apply for unemployment.

LdiJ

Your employer is not a court of law. They can fire you based on unproven allegations. They can fire you based on allegations they know are not true. They do not have to be fair, only legal.

If you are fired, apply for unemployment.
You may have missed it but he is in the UK....and we have no idea what the employment laws are there since this forum is for US law only.

eerelations

From my somewhat limited knowledge of UK employment law, I suspect OP's treatment might be illegal. However, OP will get a better answer if he posts his question on the UK website www.swarb.co.uk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">