• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Things on Computer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hindy777

What is the name of your state? NY
My ex-employer stated to me today that things that I worked on during 'his time' that are still on my old workstation were technically 'time theft' and it was stealing from the company - he's trying to get me to sign a termination release that I am not comfortable signing. I have no problem with the termination but I think he is just trying to scare me. I do have personal things on the computer like pictures of my children - any ideas?What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

He can in fact destroy anything on the computer as any information or files belong to the owner of the computer.

as far as signing the document, no one can advise you on that until it's posted and read.

eerelations

What do you get if you sign the release? If 0 money, then why even consider signing it?

BB is correct - your ex-employer's computer system is your ex-employer's property and therefore anything you've placed on that system becomes your ex-employer's property. Also, if you spent any work time at all doing personal things on your ex-employer's computer system, you did indeed commit time theft.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">