• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personnel File

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gracenotes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had read that it would be a good idea to get a copy of my personnel file from my former employer, to help clarify what was going on with this termination and to see what was said about my termination, if they really indicated eligible for rehire.

I was successful in requesting and receiving a personnel file in the mail, but it is nothing more than documentation related to my hiring, nor my firing. There is absolutely no reference to termination, including date of termination, reason, that the company stated verbally it would rehire. What kind of personnel file is this?

I am guessing these mega companies have other subsets of files they store this info in and have sneaky ways of not making any information re: termination available? I know the HR rep referred to an online termination form, but I never received a response as to what this is and/or getting a copy of it. Re: my termination, I never received any forms regarding anything in writing.

I know the company would only give out information regarding dates of employment and position. Doubtful I would want to work for this company ever again, anyway. Maybe I should not care about personnel files.

jiggy78

Here is a good summary of exactly what you are entitled to see. They are not required to allow you to see everything, nor are they required send you copies except as noted in the link below. They are required to allow you to inspect certain records at your former work location or where the records are stored.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_righttoinspectpersonnelfiles.htm

They will likely claim the records you are seeking fall into one of the exceptions meaning they don't have to give you access.

But you're probably right that you should just let this go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">