• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personnel file release

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

acrl

I was recently fired. When the EDD called for the interview to determine if my unemployment claim was valid, the representative read to me letters from my personnel file that had been sent to her by my former employer.

I understood that the contents of my personnel file could not be released to a third party..Is that so? Can the employer give any info from that file to anyone? And can't an employer just say that they exercised their "at will" rights of termination and leave it at that? (which was what I was told would happen)

Also, termination was Dec. 6 but I still haven't received a bonus check earned in November. Doesn't an employer have to have all monies ready at time of termination?

Also, in a previous performance review, my supervisor wrote that I don't "want to work long hours because I have a family" and that my inconsistant morning arrival (previously arranged with the general manager)was "because of my children". Are these comments discriminatory and could they warrant any legal action on my part?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">