• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personnel Files

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tfooks

In Texas, do I have the right to get a copy of my personnel files from my employer?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No.

If you are a government employee, you are entitled to have access to your personnel file, but that does not necessarily mean getting a copy of it. If you are a teacher, you must receive a copy of any evaluations that are put in your file, but ONLY the evaluations. If you are a firefighter or a police officer, you must be notified if anything negative is put into your file, and given a copy of THAT DOCUMENT ONLY upon request.

If you are not a government employee, teacher, firefighter or police officer, it is entirely up to your employer whether or not to even let you SEE your personnel file, let alone have a copy of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">