• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

phase out department

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

datman5946

I'm in Illinois: At my job the department that I work in is being phased out. It is a union shop as well. I am a skilled worker. What they have done is offer work in other parts of the plant. I would rather find work of my own else ware. Do I have to take one of the positions that they offer? If I don't except their offer can they fire me with no compensation or unemployment benefits?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your question was answered on the other thread. If you refuse to take the position offered, you will likely be seen as having quit the current job without good cause.

Antigone*

I'm in Illinois: At my job the department that I work in is being phased out. It is a union shop as well. I am a skilled worker. What they have done is offer work in other parts of the plant. I would rather find work of my own else ware. Do I have to take one of the positions that they offer? If I don't except their offer can they fire me with no compensation or unemployment benefits?
If you do not accept their offer you are have decided to become voluntarily unemployed. They cannot deny your unemployment benefits, all they can do is respond to a request from the UI dept. Their response would be that you decided to find employment elsewhere and the UI dept would make their decision based on those facts.

datman5946

Thank you much. Someone had stated elsewhere that it is like I quit but being a
skilled worker I thought that would carry more weight. But I see that that would not matter. I just didn't want to be denied UI if I did this.

ESteele

What does your union contract say about downsizing and/or layoffs? Have you discussed this issue with your union representative? If not, why not?

swalsh411

You cannot refuse suitable employment. Without knowing if the work being offered is suitable or not there can be no sure answer.

datman5946

1.My skills are greater than what they are offering, again I'm a skilled worker you're saying now I have to except sweeping floors?. 2. My union is really weak in assisting me it's like they're afraid to speak up for one individual, I have a case before them now and they've not even approached me to let me know the outcome all because i'm one person with one problem. That's a whole nother story.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1.My skills are greater than what they are offering, again I'm a skilled worker you're saying now I have to except sweeping floors?. 2. My union is really weak in assisting me it's like they're afraid to speak up for one individual, I have a case before them now and they've not even approached me to let me know the outcome all because i'm one person with one problem. That's a whole nother story.
Are they offering you the same pay?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">