• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

phone firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darknas

What is the name of your state? PA

My roomate was just fired over the phone and I was just wondering if that was legal. I thought you had the right to confront your employer or something to those regards.

Beth3

Nope. If the employer wants to notify an employee of their termination by carrier pigeon, they may.

I thought you had the right to confront your employer or something to those regards. I think you're thinking about the defendant in a criminal trial who has the right to confront his or her accuser. That does not apply here.

Darknas

thankyou :) I'll deliver the news. But i have a waitress question, i sware i do all the research for these people. Anyways, my friend who is a waitress was grabbed by a male customer and told that she was worthless and did not know anything. When the manager was notified the customer was given free drinks and a new server. Are they allowed to get away with that?

Beth3

A customer in a bar or restaurant being an obnoxious and rude jerk is not all that surprising. If management felt it best for some reason to give the customer free drinks, they may. Regardless of who was at fault, assigning a new server was a good idea. Surely your friend wouldn't have wanted to continue waiting on this guy.

Now if by "grab" you mean that the customer sexually assaulted this waitress, that is a different matter.

Beth3 said:
Nope. If the employer wants to notify an employee of their termination by carrier pigeon, they may.

I thought you had the right to confront your employer or something to those regards. I think you're thinking about the defendant in a criminal trial who has the right to confront his or her accuser. That does not apply here.
I live in PA myself and I got terminated via phone. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Firing someone by phone is not the smartest thing in the world to do but from an employer's point of view it is the safest because while employers do lack conscience they do have fear that a terminated individual might retaliate in a grisly way.

Beth3

On the other hand, letting an employee report to work just so that you can fire him or her has always struck me as an unnecessary thing to do. Unless there's something to discuss or the employee has personal belongings to collect, saving the employee the trip is hardly an unconscionable thing to do.

Beth3 said:
On the other hand, letting an employee report to work just so that you can fire him or her has always struck me as an unnecessary thing to do. Unless there's something to discuss or the employee has personal belongings to collect, saving the employee the trip is hardly an unconscionable thing to do.
Valid point. It's just that when I was a crew leader my boss used to tell me "While firing someone by phone is legal and safe, it also shows cowardice, unprofessionalism and(by way of extension) dishonesty. Be A Pro Always. That's part of what being a higher-up is all about. Another part of being an effective higher-up is to do your very best not to let personal feeling or conscience get in the way no matter what the reasoning is for terminating an employee." He's dead almost a year but his words are those I will live by if I ever get another chance to be in a leadership position.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That may be your boss's opinion. It may even be true in some situations. It is by no means true across the board in all circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">