• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photo release authorization (can they force you to sign?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alec_RA

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Hello,

Anyone out there have some (Missouri) case reference or actual federal
employee rights links that can help me.

Today my company handed out a Photo release authorization,
with the unsettling "sign or be terminated" verbal only
accompaniment. I did not think too much of it until I read
the form and tried to ask some questions (unsuccessfully) to
HR. All higher management and HR are very tightlipped
about this. No one would give any other information
besides what was written down. (for alittle background, my
employer just washed out there whole advertising division
before Christmas.)

Some of my employee's are abit worried and abit scared as
am I about completely signing over all rights to our
personal image. I can speculate that these will be used
for cheap advertising, company news letters, and so forth
at best, but there are no assurances they wont be posted on
the net with animated nude bodies(an extreme exaggeration)
that we can do nothing about because we signed away all
editing/original rights.

The following is the very vague form that they demand us to
sign.

"I understand that XXXX Inc. wishes to photograph/video me.
I authorize the use, reuse, publication, republication; in
part or in whole; with other photographs/video or alone, in
any medium; the photographs/video which are obtained at
XXXX inc or any XXXX inc event. I release all claim or
demands regarding these photographs/videos."

I do not understand how they can simply demand this free
imagery for there profit. Any help with reference would be
very appreciated.

D.

C

CheeseBlotto

You have three options:

1. Sign
2. Refuse to sign and hope they don't fire you.
3. Quit.

You can also try adding, in your own handwriting, wording to the effect of, "Permission is granted for use of my photo for internal company purposes only. Photo, video, or other image of me may NOT be used for any external marketing material or other communication or on any website or for any other internet-based use." Then sign it and see if they accept it.

Of course, they could always refuse to accept it, hand you a clean one to sign, and then your options are as Cheese Blotto states.

Now...one more thing...this is not "free advertising." You - and your coworkers - get paid by this company, don't you? They can make using your photo part of your "job description." I once worked for a company that publishes textbooks. They used my picture in several places in a textbook once.

Also, you are jumping the gun thinking they have an ulterior motive. They may be only intending to use the pictures in company newsletters and internal communications, and are just asking for the release so they don't have employees coming back later complaining, "I didn't say you could put the picture of me in the goofy Santa hat in the internal company newsletter."

Or maybe they do have an intent to use them. Maybe just maybe your company might want o put out a nice meet the rest of the staff newsletter.
They are asking you to sign to make sure no one is left out and to make sure no one can say they didnt have permission.

You dont want to sign, dont. See what happens. And come back and tell us please.
Or sign the thing knowing that 300 times a day your picture is snapped by those damn CIA spy satelites up there trying to bore into your brain. Now quick get that tinfoil helmet back on.

Beth3

Alec, you're making much ado about nothing. Why would your employer want to use employees' photos in a manner that would damage their image??? Answer: they wouldn't. They'll use a few employees' photos here and there for advertising brochures, their website, advertising materials, perhaps even the company Christmas card. Or they may not use them at all. It's no big deal.

As Cheeseblotto aptly summarized, you have three options: sign, refuse to sign, quit. Your choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">