• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

physically threatened

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

htims2

IL
I helped close a practice for the Dr I worked for when she moved out of the state. When she decided to move back, I helped in all aspects. Personally and professionally. I helped her land her insurance contracts, helped find and remodel her new office, helped in the ordering of exam tables, picked out the computer software & other office equipment, put ads in the paper & booked appointments out of my home until the office was open & running.
She had told me numerous times that I was not to leave her employ until she retired.

Recently I went to her with a pesonal problem I was having with a new hire. We talked it over and came to an agreement on how it was to be handled. The next day when the employee came in she was still upset and not communicating. When I asked her "if she was going to talk today?" She went ballistic. She was screaming & yelling, attacked me verbally and then threatened to attack me physically. Twice. When the Dr was informed of this she called a meeting of all the employees (4 counting the Dr.) She and the other employees got quite the giggle out of the threat. She then went on to say that I was the problem & that we had behaved like 3rd graders. Then she mapped out a plan of action that was the complete opposite from what we had discussed the evening before in her office. She completely undermined me and humiliated me in front of the other employees. After the meeting was ajourned, I went to her office and asked her if I had done something wrong, if I had misunderstood something the evening before. She said no, she was just tired of dealing with it and wanted it done. I went home sick that day at lunch. Later I called and spoke with the professional manager who was in. I told him that I was not going to be coming in the next day ( I was still ill) and we talked about the situation from earlier. He told me that my options were to work alone side by side with this girl and train her to do my job or quit. I told him I could not do that. Not after the way she spoke to me & threatened me like that. Not when Dr obviously had no intentions of taking her serious or protecting me. He said he was sorry to see me leave. I offered to stay long enough to train someone else and told him they needed to get an ad in the paper. That evening I went to the pharmacy & stopped by the office to take some personal things off of my computer since it had been given to the new hire. When I came out, the I asked the Dr if she wanted me to stay and train someone or take my keys. She again asked if I would train the new hire. I said no, she held out her hand and took my keys to the office. I asked if she wanted me to clean up the outstanding claims & her response was "you quit your job"
Does she have any responsibility to my safety at work?
After helping her set up that practice from the get go, does she have responsibility to me as far as job security? She didn't give me sick pay for the day & 1/2 that I was off.

The people at the unemployment office seem to think I don't even have grounds to get benefits because I quit?
Do I have any options? I almost feel like I have been divorced!?!

Last edited:

Beth3

Does she have any responsibility to my safety at work? She has a responsibilty to protect you from, for example, a piece of hazardous equipment but not from a coworker who acts like a child and makes some sort of verbal threat.

After helping her set up that practice from the get go, does she have responsibility to me as far as job security? Even if she did (which has not been established), she doesn't any longer. You voluntarily quit.

The people at the unemployment office seem to think I don't even have grounds to get benefits because I quit? That is correct. Quitting because you didn't like the way your employer handled the situation is not "good cause" to resign and be eligible for UC benefits.

Do I have any options? Start looking for another job.

Unfortunately, you elected to turn this situation into an ultimatum for your employer ("either she goes or I do"), giving neither you nor the doctor any room for retreat. You are now out of work entirely by your own choice. Had you opted to stay, let the situation calm down for a few days and then spoken to the doctor again, a solution agreeable to both you and the doctor might have been reached. It's too late now.

htims2

Beth,

I did not quit because I didn't like the way the situation was mishandled. I quit because I did not feel safe working alone in an office with someone who threatened me. I asked the professional manager what my options were, and discussing the problem was not an option. It was either train this girl, or quit. I didn't make it a her or me ultimatum, they did. I offered to stay long enough to train someone (which would have given plenty of time to discuss things) - & they opted out.) I am looking for another job. I was looking when all of this came to pass.

Beth3

Okay but that still doesn't give you any legal recourse. It might favorably impact your eligibilty for unemployment benefits depending upon what exactly this co-worker said and did when she threatened you and whether the threat was actually credible. I've told the occasional managerial co-worker that I was going to kick their a** (or words to that effect) but it certainly didn't constitute a credible or bonafide threat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">