• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please any advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Ohio

SHORT STORY: Wife and I live in Ohio and just got divorce. We have a daughter 3 yrs. old. I got custody. Wife hasn't worked last 3 yrs. but has worked for 17 years prior. She has 4 year accounting degree and kick-butt resume including management experience. We get along like good friends now. I am from here in Ohio, she is from Florida. She has family in Florida that can help her untill she finds employment but chooses to stay here so she can be close to her daughter (we are both in our daughters life every day). Untill employment she stays with us with no problem at all. PROBLEM IS: She was hired to do accounting job for company owned by a wealthy family right here in our town. She made it clear during her interview with the big owner that she did not know a certain software "Quickbooks". He said it was OK and she would have time to learn it. She started working on Monday 1-16-2006. Today, Thursday 1-19-2006 she came home crying. Some manager at the place she works fired her telling her it's because she doesn't know "Quickbooks" and they made a mistake. She told me she felt this was going to happen from the first day she met this man. She said she could tell he didn't want her there. She is the only black individual working there. Not to mention, while there, she had already fixed some really big mistakes of his and it seemed he didn't like it to well. WHAT SHOULD SHE DO AND WHAT ARE HER RIGHTS? THIS ISN'T RIGHT. DEPT. OF LABOR?

seniorjudge

Father-in-pain said:
What is the name of your state?Ohio

SHORT STORY: Wife and I live in Ohio and just got divorce. We have a daughter 3 yrs. old. I got custody. Wife hasn't worked last 3 yrs. but has worked for 17 years prior. She has 4 year accounting degree and kick-butt resume including management experience. We get along like good friends now. I am from here in Ohio, she is from Florida. She has family in Florida that can help her untill she finds employment but chooses to stay here so she can be close to her daughter (we are both in our daughters life every day). Untill employment she stays with us with no problem at all. PROBLEM IS: She was hired to do accounting job for company owned by a wealthy family right here in our town. She made it clear during her interview with the big owner that she did not know a certain software "Quickbooks". He said it was OK and she would have time to learn it. She started working on Monday 1-16-2006. Today, Thursday 1-19-2006 she came home crying. Some manager at the place she works fired her telling her it's because she doesn't know "Quickbooks" and they made a mistake. She told me she felt this was going to happen from the first day she met this man. She said she could tell he didn't want her there. She is the only black individual working there. Not to mention, while there, she had already fixed some really big mistakes of his and it seemed he didn't like it to well. WHAT SHOULD SHE DO AND WHAT ARE HER RIGHTS? THIS ISN'T RIGHT. DEPT. OF LABOR?
Q: WHAT SHOULD SHE DO AND WHAT ARE HER RIGHTS?

A: She should look for another job that does not require knowledge of Quickbooks.

craneman72

She should take it as " lesson learned from school of hardknocks ". If she has a resume' like you say, shouldn't be hard to find another job. Hope you find encouraging words for her, she'll probably need it. Good luck !

Gadfly

Quickbooks has become very popular and there are lots of books and classes available on it. A professional bookkeeper who has worked on real accounting systems will most likely by unhappy with it because it is so simple that she has to do three time the number of actions to do the same task in quickbooks compared to a real accounting system.

I'm sure she can learn it on her own and get another really good job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">