• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ismolika

What is the name of your state? PA
I was transferred from NJ to PA for a new store the owner just purchased to manage it. I moved and got a 1 year lease with a Town House. After 2 weeks owner paid me less amount than we agreed on. I kept working for another 2 weeks and he fired me. That was not a single good reason or evidence of doing anything wrong. I never got a warning or anything. Now I have nothing in PA and has a job lined in NJ. But I can not break the lease. I can’t even collect unemployment because I did not work for him enough. Is there anything I can do to get out of my lease or can sue him for financial damages?
Please help.
Thank you

pattytx

Short of any valid contract guaranteeing you a certain salary or length of term of employment, the employer can terminate an employee at any time for any legal reason, just as the employee can quit his job at any time for any reason.

However, you should be able to collect unemployment based upon your wage history with employers in NJ. Have you told the PA Unemployment Agency that you previously worked in NJ and for whom?

Am I correct in assuming that this was the same employer you had in N.J. and you just transferred? Do you have anything at all in writing concerning this transfer? If so, it would seem to me that this lease was an expense you were required to incur as part of your job duties and you could now expect to be reimbursed for it. Not saying that you have a legal right to this, but I should think it would be something to look into.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even if this was the same employer, nothing in either NJ or PA law requires an employer to reimburse an employee for expenses incurred in moving due to a transfer. Some employers do so voluntarily but they are not required to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">