• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help! Is this legal?!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Logic21

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I work for a large east coast trucking company. I load and unload the freight from the trucks. A couple weeks ago I was suspended without pay indefinitely for stealing 3 mini motor scooters. My friend who works with me was also suspended. Neither I nor my friend stole them but we were suspended "pending investigation". After a week and a half of calling them and never getting any real answers about an "investigation", my boss calls and tells me to come in, they're gonna put me back to work but they need to talk to me first. I show up expecting an apology, maybe an offer of back pay but I get..."We dont have any proof that you stole the scooters but we pulled your record and you were late alot over the past year so consider this your warning. We're writing you up for being late and if you're even 1 minute late or miss a day for any reason you're fired." No back pay, no apology, just me getting crapped on again. After a week and a half of no pay they have seriously damaged my families financial situation as well as my reputation. Now work is unbearable. Everyone keeps coming up to me and asking how much I got for the scooters, I am terrified to even flinch for fear of being fired. How is this legal? Anyone think I should persue a case?

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law permits your employer to suspend you without pay if you are under suspicion of misconduct. While it would be nice of them to provide back pay, barring a contract that specifies otherwise they are not required to do so. Nor is there anything illegal about telling you that you'll be fired if you are late again.

No, I don't think you should pursue a case. I don't see that you have any case. It might not be the way I'd have handled it, but your employer broke no laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">