• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pleased help with nursing student loan forgiveness contract.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mama mia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I’m a registered nurse needing help with a contract I signed while in nursing school.
When I started a hospital based nursing school a little over two years ago, the school offered a $10,000 a year loan to students who agree to work for the hospital after graduation, a loan forgiveness contract.

Over the two year period, I borrowed $20,000 for a two year work commitment with the hospital after graduation. As part of the agreement, the hospital promised to find employment for me once I receive my license.

Soon after graduation, I lost my grandmother and I traveled to Europe for 2 weeks to attend the funeral. While I was gone the school met with the graduates who signed the loan forgiveness contract and informed that the hospital did not have jobs available due to the economic downturn. They were told to study for the NCLEX to get their license and hopefully jobs would be soon available.

Since I was away, I missed this meeting. When I returned I studied for the NCLEX (licensing exams) which I passed. I then contacted the school to inquire about a job. The person I spoke with indicated that because of the economic downturn they did not have any openings currently and I should hang on. Well, a month went by and still nothing. I needed money to pay my bills so I found a job at a rehab center with the intention that as soon as the hospital found me a job I would leave the rehab center. As a new nurse, working at the rehab center is not helping my career because I am not using my clinical nursing skills.

A few weeks ago I received a letter from the hospital stating I broke the contract and need to pay them back the $20,000 right away. When I met with them to ask about the letter, they informed me that they have no record of me contacting them for a job and for this reason I have broken the contract. I told them if they could find a job for me in the hospital today, I would start tomorrow. Still they refused. Also they are saying my failure to attend the initial meeting ( when I was away at my grandmother’s funeral) is an indication that I don’t intend to honor the contract. I even showed them the air ticket to prove that I was truly away and they still refuse. Oddly enough, there are still graduates from my class who the hospital has not employed… but they are not asking these people to pay back the loan because they were present at the initial meeting.
I do not have the money to pay them back. What do you think I should do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

You need to show the contract to a lawyer in your area. No one can provide an opinion about a contract they have not read.

tranquility

While I agree with ecmst12, it seems like you have a problem. Excuses or real, legitimate reasons are ont something which gets you out of contracts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">