• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plenty of Interviews NO job!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwagner_51

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am a new RN. I was hired by the local hospital in July of 2005 as a "graduate nurse". My first day on the job, no one on the unit knew who I was or why I was there!

I was told by my Nurse Manager [NM] to follow the other RNs around to see how things were done. I watched as they passed meds, took vitals, and charted.

I have a very strong work ethic and couldn't stand the fact that I was sitting around doing NOTHING and they were paying me. I asked the NM exactly what I could do because I felt guilty doing nothing. Her response was to just keep doing what I had been doing.

In August I was transferred to nights by my request. I had problems with the State board of Nursing not being able to find the picture I sent so that I could schedule my test.

I was allowed to answer call lights, get patients out of bed, pass meal trays, and do accuchecks. When I went in to assess the patients another nurse was in the room with me. When I charted, the other RN would read what I wrote and then co-sign my work.

On September 9, I finally got the paperwork from the State giving me permission to take Boards. I left a note for my NM letting her know that I was scheduled to take Boards on Oct. 3.

On Sept. 20, there was a note for me stating that I was to meet with the NM in the morning after my shift. I went into the meeting and they had a list of lies about me. [I have a copy of them and my response.]

Basically, they said that I had BO, that my uniforms were wrinkled, that my nails were dirty, that i made statements like, "When I'm an RN, I won't have to answer call lights" and " I don't do blood, poop or vomit."

I didn't know how to respond to the accusations. I denied the BO, wrinkled clothes, and the direct quotes, but did state that i would do everything listed to correct the problems listed.

12 Days later, I passed boards and became an RN!! :)

My former instructor was on the unit and found out that I passed boards! She told my NM and the NM called me! She acted really happy for me. My next scheduled day, we were short a RN and they wanted me to handle a team by myself.:eek: I refused!

I told the other nurse that I had had no training for RNs and the nurse backed me up.

In the meeting on September 21, I was instructed to ask for help if I didn't understand something. We had a patient who had a subdural hematoma [a bleed]. I didn't know what to look for as far as signs and symptoms go, so I asked.

On Oct. 10, I was called into another meeting and was told I was fired!!:mad: Some of the reasons listed are: Neuro checks lack detail, unsure of subdural hematoma assessment, In the last 2 days has pointed to her badge stating "I am an RN" to a subordinate, continues to smell very stongly of smoke.

These were all dated for 10/06/05 a mere 3 days after I passed boards!!:mad: :mad:

Fast forward to Dec. I had 4 interviews between Christmas and New Year's at 3 hospitals and Home Health. After the New Year, I had 4 more interviews 3 at one hospital and a second interview from another.

I got a letter from 2 of the hospitals telling me that they found someone more experienced. I have no problem with that.

I have heard nothing from any of the other hospitals. I interviewed for another position at one of the hospitals on Feb. 6. I have heard nothing!!

I am so angry, because I know what the NM said are lies, but it is my word against hers. How do I go into an interview and explain why I was fired, when I don't even know why I was fired?

That makes 9 interviews from December 23-Feb. 6.

What do you think? Is there anyway to salvage my reputation? All of the hospitals are within a 50 mile radius of each other.

Thanks!!

In His Grace,

Karen

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although I agree that it is rude not to do so, many employers do not notify applicants when they have hired someone else. The fact that you have not received any notice from the other hospitals where you interviewed is not in itself illegal, it is not a violation of your rights, and it is not even close to proof that your former employer even was contacted about you, let alone that they lied about you.

kwagner_51

cbg said:
Although I agree that it is rude not to do so, many employers do not notify applicants when they have hired someone else. The fact that you have not received any notice from the other hospitals where you interviewed is not in itself illegal, it is not a violation of your rights, and it is not even close to proof that your former employer even was contacted about you, let alone that they lied about you.

Yeah but doesn't it seem strange that we have this 'nursing shortage', yet I can't get a job as a NURSE? I already know that my NM is a liar! I also refused to give the hospital permission to release ANYTHING about me.

I guess my real question is:

How do I defend myself against the lies that the NM put in WRITING when I am interviewing for a job?

Thanks!!

In His Grace,

Karen

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In most states, the employer does not need your permission to release information about you. I'll have to check Indiana's when I get home but I don't recall that being one of the very few exceptions.

All you can do is, if asked about it, explain your side of the story. You still have not convinced me that your previous employer has even spoken to any of the other hospitals - employers do not call for references on every one who applies, only on their top candidates. You could be shooting yourself in the foot by insisting on "defending yourself against lies" when no one has said anything to anyone about it.

S

shell007

Basically, they said that I had BO, that my uniforms were wrinkled, that my nails were dirty, that i made statements like, "When I'm an RN, I won't have to answer call lights" and " I don't do blood, poop or vomit."

I didn't know how to respond to the accusations. I denied the BO, wrinkled clothes, and the direct quotes, but did state that i would do everything listed to correct the problems listed.
You say you denied the personal hygiene problems, BUT then stated that YOU WOULD CORRECT THEM.

If there wasn't a personal hygiene problem then "what was there to correct"????:rolleyes:

Therefore, maybe you are not getting jobs because of your personal appearance and/or odor! Something that can be easily remedied.

"First impressions mean EVERYTHING"

I wasn't trying to be mean, just trying to help figure out the problem. The poor personal hygiene allegations are pretty harsh to be "made up".

mlane58

From Indiana's Labor Law site:
IC 22-5-3-1
Disclosure of information after employee's discharge

Sec. 1. (a) A person who, after having discharged any employee from his service, prevents the discharged employee from obtaining employment with any other person commits a Class C infraction and is liable in penal damages to the discharged employee to be recovered by civil action; but this subsection does not prohibit a person from informing, in writing, any other person to whom the discharged employee has applied for employment a truthful statement of the reasons for the discharge.

(b) An employer that discloses information about a current or former employee is immune from civil liability for the disclosure and the consequences proximately caused by the disclosure, unless it is proven by a preponderance of the evidence that the information disclosed was known to be false at the time the disclosure was made.

(c) Upon written request by the prospective employee, the prospective employer will provide copies of any written communications from current or former employers that may affect the employee's possibility of employment with the prospective employer. The request must be received by the prospective employer not later than thirty (30) days after the application for employment is made to the prospective employer.

Gadfly

Let's face it. You are new and inexperienced. It's not unusual for employers to want experienced people. Place yourself with a registry. Get some experience and get yourself known at the hospitals throught the registry placements. Eventually one of them will hire you. At the same time it will give you a chance to see how each facility works which will help you decide where you want to work.

I don't want to sound mean, but in a very short period of time you had complaints about BO, poor professional appearance, smoke oder and dirty finger nails. Most people are afarid to confront someone with these issues and they go through life not understanding why things don't go their way. Learn from this lesson and improve yourseld. It taken more than an "RN" after your name to get you hired. Go back and review the module on professional standards.

kwagner_51

I don't know how to use the block quotes so I marked my respons with **.

Gadfly said:
Let's face it. You are new and inexperienced. It's not unusual for employers to want experienced people. Place yourself with a registry. Get some experience and get yourself known at the hospitals throught the registry placements. Eventually one of them will hire you. At the same time it will give you a chance to see how each facility works which will help you decide where you want to work.

**In order to get in a registry I have to have at least 6 months experience. I have 18 DAYS!

I don't want to sound mean, but in a very short period of time you had complaints about BO, poor professional appearance, smoke oder and dirty finger nails. Most people are afarid to confront someone with these issues and they go through life not understanding why things don't go their way. Learn from this lesson and improve yourseld. It taken more than an "RN" after your name to get you hired. Go back and review the module on professional standards.

The BO, dirty nails and dirty wrinkled uniforms are a crock of BS! Do you honestly think I could get through nursing school with BO and dirty nails?? I took a shower EVERY day and used deoderant!! I am now realizing that it was a personality conflict because
I didn't fit into the 'clique'. I'm 45 years old, not some teenager straight out of high school who doesn't know their head from a hole in the ground!!

I have four children and know how important it is to be clean and not smell like I have been out grubbing in the garden!! Give me some credit for knowing what is proper in an employment situation!!

Thanks!!

In His Grace,

Karen

Failure is NOT an option!!

RnsWiffScissors

Because of the shortages of nurses in some areas, but more often because of the need to maintain costs, there isn't a lot "fluff" staffing-wise. With limited salary budgets, it's not unusual for healthcare organizations to refuse to hire new grads. Understandably, managers would rather hire someone with experience, given the choice.

If you had a particularly good interview and ultimately didn't get the job, you may want to consider asking the interviewer for some feedback. If you present your request as asking for help for future interviews, you may find someone who'd be very direct with you. I think it would be helpful for you to know whether you weren't selected because another candidate had better experience or whether it was in the way you presented yourself.

If push comes to shove, you may want to consider working in long term care (where there seems to always be vacancies) just for the experience. Good luck!

S

shell007

The BO, dirty nails and dirty wrinkled uniforms are a crock of BS! Do you honestly think I could get through nursing school with BO and dirty nails??
It doesn't take "Good Personal Hygiene" to get into or through nursing school. All it does take are "good grades" and "cash".

However: The requirements to get HIRED and to STAY EMPLOYED are very different.

It's also obvious that you don't handle constructive criticism very well based on your posts. MAYBE THAT'S PART (IF NOT ALL) OF THE PROBLEM.:rolleyes:

curlyerin

hmmmm

you may find more luck looking for jobs that are hiring for group homes. the other thing you could do is traveling nursing, but you mentioned kids so i dont know if thats for you. Most hospitals hire experienced RNs, hate to say it but you may have to start at the bottom of the totem pole. Long term care is the best place, or the VNA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">