• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

And the plot thickens...Update, "Should I come clean?" NEW HIRE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hello. Remember me? The screwed one, aka Miss Screwed Ya Brought It On Yourself! Continuation...

Man, this is one of those defining moments when ya say to yourself, "How did I get here?". Hopefully someone out there will learn from my mistake.

In a nutshell, sorry no desire to write a book. Here's the recap, for those interested. Well, I didn't get the job after all. Jumped through many hoops, honestly. But in the end, no cigar. The "Minor's" wanted me regardless, but the big "cheeses" (yes, they are cheesy) scrutinized me major. Apparently, as of lately, I'm not "of good character". Whoa, talk about a low blow to the ole ego.

But wait, it gets more interesting. Y'all should really enjoy this part. I went to the county records dept. and purchased an "actual" police report today. Well, let's just say the other party involved wasn't completely honest (according to the report), to save his own ass (my own summation). According to the report, I am the "instigator" w/ "issues", the other party is the victim, according to the other parties statement, as quoted by the officer. My statement on the other hand, implicates no one, other than to say, "we got into fight.", period, end quote. However, I'm the one with the noticeable injury, as stated by the officer.

Why did this person I care for do this? Because of a prior. A major felony prior, unlawful injury (fulfilled and satisfied, 10 yrs ago). Now, I know what you're thinking, but remember, you don't know all the details and I'm not about to sit here and type out a long drawn out story of this and that. So, try to keep an open mind.

Anyhoo, it seems I may have to take the fall to keep this person from doing time. Seems we're cracking down on domestic issues around these parts, politically speaking.

Okay, so this is my first criminal issue (37, female), never been in trouble at all. Well, as far as the "LAW" is concerned anyway. In reality, we are both at fault, on some level. But he was the instigator and he has his own reason's for that. That's all I can say in his defense.

The problem? If he goes to jail (minimum 12 mos + $1000.00), he'll loose his job and personal credit. There goes our house, there goes everything. He's the major bread winner, I can't sustain by myself. So what would you do?

Summary...Take the fall for a Misdemeanor of simple battery, on your record for the rest of your life or a complete life upheaval (Possibly loose a mostly loving 5yr. relationship. And sell your house & all belongings, if you're lucky.) and venture into the great unknown of no security, no nothing? And no guarantee you're record won't be tarnished either way.

This should be interesting... :eek:

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't have any advice, and I'm not making any judgements. I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this.

I guess I do have one piece of advice. As you continue your job search, tell your headhunter and tell any employer who asks exactly what you just told us. Now that you know what the record actually says, you can make sure that no employer gets blindsided by it. I know you've been honest in the past, but now you know things you didn't know which might have made you LOOK as if you were holding back. Employers respect honesty.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this.
Thanks cbg. A kind word really does the spirit good right about now. Feeling pretty darn low, ya know?

As far as the job search goes, back to the old drawing board. I'm hitting it hard, but only w/ those companies that "DO NOT" criminal background check. I'm NOT putting myself threw that horror again! Yeah, talk about total humiliation. Thankfully, a few of those companies (don't criminal record check) still exist. For now anyway. Better get on board while the getting is good!!!

My headhunter has been very supportive and understanding. After all, he's been in my shoes, but of a more sever nature. So, I guess there's still hope.

Man, somebody please wake me up from this nightmare. I don't know what I've done to find myself in such a lowly place, but karma is on the attack. :( Sorry for being such a downer, have a good one. I'll keep ya posted, hopefully better luck is on the horizon.

Just Blue

needsomeadvice said:
Thanks cbg. A kind word really does the spirit good right about now. Feeling pretty darn low, ya know?

As far as the job search goes, back to the old drawing board. I'm hitting it hard, but only w/ those companies that "DO NOT" criminal background check. I'm NOT putting myself threw that horror again! Yeah, talk about total humiliation. Thankfully, a few of those companies (don't criminal record check) still exist. For now anyway. Better get on board while the getting is good!!!

My headhunter has been very supportive and understanding. After all, he's been in my shoes, but of a more sever nature. So, I guess there's still hope.

Man, somebody please wake me up from this nightmare. I don't know what I've done to find myself in such a lowly place, but karma is on the attack. :( Sorry for being such a downer, have a good one. I'll keep ya posted, hopefully better luck is on the horizon.

I hope you are reconsidering your relationship...If the guy lied to save his own as$ and you end up with a criminal record...this may not be "the one" for you!! ;)

Good luck in your job search!! :)

Thanks baygirl.

I hope you are reconsidering your relationship...If the guy lied to save his own as$ and you end up with a criminal record...this may not be "the one" for you!!
Oh yeah, I hear ya!!! Believe me, I've confronted him about this turn of events and let's just say it's not a happy environment around here at this time. Pretty chilly, if you know what I mean. I feel very hurt and betrayed. He claims he didn't say what the officer reported. Swears it's an "embellishment" on the officer's part.

I'm having a really tough time believing that. But he assures me that his lawyer will handle this "police report" issue with care, as to not weigh against me in court. He said that he explicitly expressed to his lawyer that he didn't want me to be harmed in anyway, in his defense. But, considering all things (as listed above), this may the only option to keep him out of jail, realistically speaking. There's so much at stake here. Ugh!

I just found out about this (the police report) myself, so I haven't had an opportunity to discuss it with my lawyer yet. Plan to speak to him Monday.

Since my dilemma has progressed into a more "domestic" crime issue than EMPLOYMENT & LABOR LAW, I should probably move to the appropriate forum category. Just wanted to update from the original post. Thanks again for all the sound advice. Really appreciate it.

As far as my relationship goes...I have so much on my plate right now, I'll have to really deal with that aspect later. A person can only deal with so much at one time. All I can tell you is we've been together for 5yrs. and nothing like this has ever happened before and there are two sides to this coin. :confused:

Just Blue

needsomeadvice said:
Thanks baygirl.

Oh yeah, I hear ya!!! Believe me, I've confronted him about this turn of events and let's just say it's not a happy environment around here at this time. Pretty chilly, if you know what I mean. I feel very hurt and betrayed. He claims he didn't say what the officer reported. Swears it's an "embellishment" on the officer's part.

I'm having a really tough time believing that. But he assures me that his lawyer will handle this "police report" issue with care, as to not weigh against me in court. He said that he explicitly expressed to his lawyer that he didn't want me to be harmed in anyway, in his defense. But, considering all things (as listed above), this may the only option to keep him out of jail, realistically speaking. There's so much at stake here. Ugh!

I just found out about this (the police report) myself, so I haven't had an opportunity to discuss it with my lawyer yet. Plan to speak to him Monday.

Since my dilemma has progressed into a more "domestic" crime issue than EMPLOYMENT & LABOR LAW, I should probably move to the appropriate forum category. Just wanted to update from the original post. Thanks again for all the sound advice. Really appreciate it.

As far as my relationship goes...I have so much on my plate right now, I'll have to really deal with that aspect later. A person can only deal with so much at one time. All I can tell you is we've been together for 5yrs. and nothing like this has ever happened before and there are two sides to this coin. :confused:
My ex waited 7 years till he started to hit me...guess he was a late bloomer! Personally...if I were you (and I know I'm not :p ) I would NEVER take the "rap"! This will be on YOUR record and will affect you long after you get smart and get out of the relationship! Just a little advice from one who has been there! ;)

Good luck!
Bay

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">